This delicious, colorful, vibrant salad is also healthy and loaded with fresh flavor! It works well any time and in any season!
Labor Day greetings!
If you reside here in North America, I hope you’re having fun, and enjoying the holiday weekend. For those of you living outside the U.S., Labor Day is a beloved American (and Canadian) holiday that dates back to the late 1800’s. It’s become more than a day, actually a weekend, set aside to pay tribute to working men and women, and the contribution they’ve made to our society. Labor Day has also become an iconic symbol of the end of the summer season, although that’s actually not official for a couple more weeks. It’s a perfect occasion to get together (or get away) with family and friends, and do all those quintessential “summer” things one last time.
Scott and I, sadly, sent our little herd (our daughter and her family) back to London on Thursday after a wonderful summer visit. Instead of moping around missing them, we decided to get away for a few days and enjoy some peace, quiet and fun. The summer was lots of fun, but not too peaceful and definitely not quiet. Looking ahead at a super busy fall makes us appreciate each minute of this refreshing respite.
Since I promised to post this recipe today, I’m sending it out, but I’ll keep things short, as I’m imagining that you too are enjoying this last hurrah of summer. We’re spending an extended weekend biking, swimming, kayaking, walking, talking, planning, praying and,as always, dreaming up some fun new recipes to share with you this fall.
This Lemon Oregano Chicken and Corn Salad is a salad that can be enjoyed all year long. In the warm months, grill the chicken outdoors. When cold winds blow, just use your grill or sauté pan. Fresh corn will be around for another month or so, but when it’s out of season, lightly steam frozen corn is also delicious. I used arugula as a base for my salad. Watercress, spinach or field greens would work equally well for this healthy, vibrant meal-in-a-bowl.
See the pretty pink in the salad? It’s a scatter of Lemon Pickled Red Onions which add another layer of flavor as well as beautiful, vibrant color. They’ll take you less than 10 minutes to throw together!
I love that the Lemon Oregano Salad Dressing serves as a marinade for the chicken, as well as a bright, fresh drizzle for the salad.
Salted cashews, right from the can, make things easy and give a nice crunch and texture to the salad.
Make it, pin it, enjoy it – I promise you’ll be thanking yourself. And the little herd around your table, whoever they are, will be too! Bon appetit!
LOTS OF PEOPLE ASK WHAT KIND OF COOKWARE, SMALL APPLIANCES, CUTLERY, ETC. I USE IN THE KITCHEN. HERE’S WHAT I USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE.
- Place chicken breasts in a large ziplock bag. Add 2 tablespoons of Lemon Oregano Salad Dressing. Seal bag and massage to coat chicken with marinade. Allow to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Place corn in a large zip-lock bag. Add 1 tablespoon water and seal bag. Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Remove bag from microwave and set aside until cool enough to handle, then cut kernels from cobs and set aside.
- If using frozen corn, place corn in a microwave-safe, with a lid. Add 1 tablespoon water and cover. Cook on high power for 4 minutes. Set aside to cool
- Preheat grill on medium-high heat, and lightly oil grate. If cooking indoors, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken on prepared grill and cook, turning once until cooked through and internal temperature is 160˚F, approximately 5-6 minutes on each side. Remove from grill and tent with foil for 5 minutes.
- If cooking on grill (or sauté) pan, place chicken in prepared pan and lightly brown on both sides, about 5 minutes. Cover, and continue cooking 5-10 minutes (depending on thickness), until center of chicken reaches 160˚F with an instant thermometer.
- To prepare salads, divide arugula between 4 shallow serving bowls or 4 large plates. Sliced chicken and arrange down the center of each bowl/plate. Scatter salad with corn, Lemon Pickled Red Onions and cashews, then drizzle lightly with dressing. Pass extra dressing at the table.