I posted a recipe earlier this week for Valentine Focaccia made with Five Minute Bread Dough. The recipe makes a large bowl of dough which can be stored in the refrigerator for at least five days. We’re eating fairly simple this week; trying to prepare meals that don’t take forever in the kitchen as there’s so much to enjoy outdoors. This pizza comes together quite quickly, especially if you make the dough and cook the bacon and apples earlier in the day. We all agreed that it was quite delicious and there wasn’t a crumb left!
P.S. Oh, and I learned a great new trick! Normally I always use a pizza stone at home for a nice crisp crust. Although the chalet that we’re staying in has a fairly well equipped kitchen, there was sadly no stone to be found. I came up with a new technique and it worked quite nicely – check it out below!
Bacon and Apple Pizza with Fresh Rosemary
This Bacon and Apple Pizza with Fresh Rosemary is a delicious combination and comes together with the help of the famous 5 Minute Bread Dough.
- Category: Pizza
- Cuisine: Italian
- ¼ recipe Five Minute Pizza Dough (save the rest for other bread or pizza)
- 1 apple, cored and sliced in thin slices (I used a Golden Delicious)
- 4 slices applewood bacon, cut in small pieces
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 6 fresh sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, cut in thin slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella, shredded
- 2 ounces Parmigiano Reggiano, shredded
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- Sauté the bacon for a few minutes on medium low heat, then add the wine and sage, cover and braise on low heat for about 15 minutes. Remove the cover and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated and bacon is golden brown. Remove the bacon and drain on paper towels. Pour out most of the bacon fat, but do not wash pan. Add the butter and apple slices to the pan and sauté over medium low heat, tossing gently with tongs, for about 5 minutes until the apples begin to soften. Remove from heat. All of this can be done early in the day, if desired; store the bacon and the apples in separate containers in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 450˚F. Line a large sheet pan or round pizza pan with parchment paper.
- Place dough on a floured surface and roll or pat out into a 14 inch circle (or oval if using a sheet pan). Transfer dough to prepared pan. Brush dough with olive oil and scatter the onions on top.
- Bake 10 minutes in the preheated 450º oven.
- Remove from oven and add the cheeses and then the apple slices. Scatter the bacon over the top.
- Lower the temperature to 400º and remove parchment paper and pizza from pan. Place the pizza with parchment paper underneath, directly on the oven rack and bake another 10 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Brush the crust with a little more olive oil, shower with the fresh rosemary, slice and serve.