- It’s the number one fruit when it comes to antioxidants.
- Neutralizes free radicals which can cause cancer.
- Aids in reducing belly fat. (really!? – I might have to go back for more!)
- Helps promote urinary tract health.
- Botanists estimate that blueberries have been around for 13,000 years!
- A single bush can produce 6000 blueberries!
- Blueberries get their beautiful purple/blue color from Anthocyanidins.
- Pilots of the British Royal Airforce consumed blueberries to improve their night vision during World War II.
3 tablespoons water
½ cup sugar
4 tablespoons butter, softened
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 egg yolks, from large eggs
pinch salt1. Place blueberries and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes until blueberries are softened. Remove from heat and smash berries with spoon, then strain thru a fine strainer, press on blueberries with the back of a spoon to extract as much juice as possible, discard solids.
2. In a clean pan, mix sugar and softened butter. Add egg yolks and mix until combined, then stir in blueberry liquid, lemon juice and salt. Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until thickened. Let cool. If too thick, add a bit of water.
ENJOY with toast, English muffins, pound cake, as a cake filling, in yogurt, on oatmeal,….