If you want to know the truth, I’ve had a hard time staying away from these delicately crisp, sweet and salty pepitas. In fact I think I need to give them away!
Before I eat them ALL! I’m a sucker for peanut brittle and these are reminiscent of that delicious golden treat, but with a whole new twist …………. and much easier!
Pepita is just another name for a pumpkin seed and can refer to the whole unhulled seed or just the inner kernel. My recipe starts with crunchy, roasted, salted, hulled seeds and then takes them to a whole new dimension by roasting them once more with sugar and honey until they’re golden and sweetly glazed. If you’re looking for a delicious, fun, unique snack that can double as a delightful, crispy, crunchy, toffee-flavored ice cream adornment, whip up a batch of these yummy Double Roasted Sweet & Salty Pepitas today. But don’t say I didn’t give you fair warning when they start calling your name – like they’re calling mine right now!
P.S. You’ll want to check back later this week to see these pepitas starring in my Butter Lettuce Salad w/ Strawberries, Avocado, Edamame, Double Roasted Sweet/Salty Pepitas & Fresh Basil/Ginger Vinaigrette.
- 2 cups roasted salted pepitas
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Line a sheet pan with foil or parchment paper.
- Combine pepitas, oil and sugar and honey on prepared pan and toss to coat pepitas with the sugar mixture.
- Roast for 5 minutes, remove from oven and stir well. Return to oven for another 5 minutes and repeat stirring. Roast about 5-10 minutes longer or until sugar is melted and peptias are golden, but be sure to watch very carefully at this point, they can go from perfect to burned very quickly!
- Remove from oven, sprinkle lightly with sea salt and turn out onto fresh parchment paper to cool and dry.