I served these two sides with yesterday’s Grilled London Broil with Sweet and Smokey Salsa but they certainly could stand on their own as celebrities for any meal.
The Grill-Roasted Corn would be great for picnics, backyard cookouts or with other grilled or roasted meats. I am already imagining a great future for the delicious sweet and spicy Lime-Cilantro Butter – I can see it drizzled over steamed or sauteed fish, pan-seared shrimp…….. or a pat of it melting over a succulent grilled steak……. or even piled on a freshly baked roll, like my Cheddar and Garlic Rolls or…………….. oh no, sorry, I got off on a tangent…..see what happens when I get started?….. 🙂 I’ll try to be better!
Back to the corn and potatoes; both are super quick and simple to prepare. The corn is roasted on the grill with just a bit of sea salt and olive oil till smokey and a bit charred, then slathered with the lovely butter – okay I won’t say anything else about the butter, except that it is INCREDIBLE!
The potatoes are tasty without being indulgent in the slightest. My husband never dreamed they were “skinny” until I told him after dinner. Just plain old potatoes, steamed and mashed with chicken broth and a bit of hummus…………. hummus? Yes, hummus. I used a roasted red pepper variety, but whatever you have or like will work. The hummus gives a mysterious, fantastic garlicky flavor to the creamy potatoes – no one will even miss the butter and cream! Served together or on their own, these two delicious sides will be winners with your family and friends.
Grill-Roasted Corn with Cilantro-Lime Butter
MY OTHER RECIPES
6 ears fresh corn, husks and silk removed
extra virgin olive oil
freshly ground black pepper
FOR CILANTRO-LIME BUTTER
1 stick butter, softened
zest of 1 lime
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon Sriracha chili sauce*
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon sea salt
1. Heat grill to high for 10-15 minutes
2. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the ears of corn and garlic cloves to coat. Season lightly with sea salt and pepper.
3. Grill until lightly browned and charred in spots, turning occasionally, 10-15 minutes. Spread with Cilantro-Lime Butter while hot.
4. For Cilantro-Lime Butter place the butter in a mixing bowl and mix in the cilantro, lime zest, lime juice, salt, Sriracha and paprika. Use immediately or wrap in plastic wrap or parchment paper in a log-shape and refrigerate until firm. Unwrap and slice to use for steaks, chops etc., let sit out at room temperature for spreading on corn or bread.
This recipe makes more than you will most likely use for the corn. See post above for other suggested uses. Can also be frozen for 1-2 months if wrapped well.
Skinny Mashed Potatoes
4 cups cut up potatoes, red or golden, with or without skin, (we like them both ways, they are a bit more rustic with the skins)
½-¾ cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons hummus, plain or whatever variety you like, I used roasted red pepper
½ teaspoon sea salt, more as needed
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Place potatoes and 1 cup water in a medium size pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and steam potatoes until tender, drain well.
2. Add 1/2 cup of broth, the hummus and sea salt to pot and mash with a potato masher, add broth as needed to desired consistency. Taste and add freshly ground pepper and more sea salt if needed. Serve immediately.