You say we’re having dinner on a stick? Hmm, not so sure about this one? If you’re thinking State Fair-type corn dogs or something like that, think again! I made this yummy dinner before I left for London last week to visit my daughter. I have a feeling it will become a favorite summer meal; tender, juicy, golden grilled chicken, caramelized peppers and onions and soft creamy potatoes – all grilled until glistening and glazed with a delicious Southwestern-inspired sauce bursting with bright, vibrant flavor. It’ll be sure to please the most discriminating palettes!
It’s a perfect weeknight dinner or how about fun company fare? It’s simple, unique – did I mention delicious? The best part of all is that most of the prep can be done in advance, except a little last minute grilling. Meat, potatoes and vegetables never looked so good! You’ll want to put this one on your summer menu list too!
Grilled Chicken, Pepper and Potato Kabobs with Honey Cumin Glaze
Grilled Chicken, Pepper and Potato Kabobs with Honey Cumin Glaze – tender, juicy, golden grilled chicken, caramelized peppers, onions and creamy potatoes. Add a Southwestern-style glaze and yum!
- Yield: Serves 4-6
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Southwestern
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons honey
- zest of 1 lime
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablesoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium sweet onion, peeled and quartered vertically, separate layers to create approximately 1/2-inch size pieces – save tiny inner layers for another use
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes or other small potatoes
- wooden skewers
- Soak wooden skewers in water for at least an hour to prevent burning on the grill.
- Place potatoes in a medium size saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook about 20-25 minutes or until just tender (do not over-cook or they will fall apart when you try to skewer). Drain and set aside to cool.
- Make glaze/drizzle; combine honey, lime zest and juice, garlic, cumin, chili powder, oregano and sea salt; stir to combine. Add olive oil in a slow, steady stream while stirring continuously – I like to use a small whisk for this. Stir in chopped cilantro, divide sauce into two bowls and set aside.
- Slice chicken lengthwise into 1/2 inch wide slices. Thread about 3 slices onto a pre-soaked skewer. Continue until all chicken is skewered. I like to add a second skewer about a 1/2 inch from the first one for stability while grilling. Set aside.
- Place peppers and onion pieces alternatively on pre-soaked skewers and set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium high.
- Grill chicken kabobs 4-5 minutes per side or until golden. Don’t over-cook chicken or it will be dry and tough. Grill veggies and potatoes until golden and just starting to char slightly. Brush all kabobs with half of the sauce during last 5 minutes of cooking. Serve with fresh limes and drizzle with extra sauce or serve sauce in small bowls for dipping.