Quesadillas are what I call a “go-to meal”. Simply stated: By keeping a few key items in your pantry, you can whip up dinner – lickety-split! Quesadillas make great use of leftover chicken, beef, pork, even seafood layered between tortillas with a bit of cheese and one or two other fun ingredients* from your pantry.
This is your chance to be a magician. My husband says that often he looks in our refrigerator and finds “nothing to eat”. Translated, this means that although we may be very well stocked, there is nothing he can pull out and instantly sink his teeth into. So when I come along, pull out a few ingredients and whip up a meal in fifteen minutes, he thinks that I am Hoodini! He calls that type of dinner, “something out of nothing”!
- flour tortillas
- shredded cheese, really whatever your favorite is
- pesto (I like to buy a big container at Sam’s or Costco and divide into smaller portions and freeze.)
- sun-dried tomatoes
- canned mushrooms
- canned artichokes
- roasted red peppers
- black beans
- sweet onions
- chipotle peppers
- canned or frozen sweet corn
- black olives
- canned green chiles
- canned tiny potatoes
- frozen spinach (thaw and squeeze out extra liquid)
- apples (try slicing thinly and pairing with deli ham and Brie cheese)
- Grilled Chicken Quesadillas
- 2 grilled chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 2 roasted red peppers, (from a jar) drained and thinly sliced
- 2 small green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheese, I used a Mexican mix but whatever you have will do
- ¾ cup cilantro leaves
- 8 small flour tortillas
- extra virgin olive oil
1.Place four tortillas on counter. Layer chicken, peppers, cheese and cilantro on each and top with second tortilla.
2.In a medium pan, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil until hot. Place one quesadilla in the pan.
3.Cook for 2 minutes or until the first side is golden, then flip quesadillas and cook for another 2 minutes. Slide on to a plate or rack. Repeat with remaining quesadillas.
4.Slice each finished quesadilla into fourths or eighths and serve with favorite salsa.
4. Juice lime and add along with salt and pepper to taste. ENJOY!!!!!!!!