Are you looking for a festive, fun, delicious but simple dessert to celebrate the 4th of July? Well, look no further……………………………..
This patriotic looking trifle fits the bill perfectly! We had some friends for dinner last night and I needed a dessert that would come together fairly quick. I saw this recipe on the PBS – Every Day Food web site, added a few of my own touches and before I knew it I had a dessert that would even make a soldier’s mama proud!
There are a zillion different varieties of trifles but the basic idea is a dessert consisting of layers of cake, fresh fruit and some form of custard or whipped cream, usually served in a deep glass bowl to show off the beautiful layers. For my trifle I used a super simple (one bowl, no mixer) but delicious vanilla-blueberry sheet cake, fresh raspberries and blueberries and married it all together with whipped cream combined with cream cheese and lemon zest. As you can see from the pictures it was a beautiful presentation but guess what? It tasted even better than it looked – we all had seconds!
Red, White, and Blueberry Trifle
1 bar reduced-fat cream cheese (8 ounces), room temperature
zest of 1 large lemon, finely zested
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries, rinsed and dried
2 cups fresh raspberries
1. Prepare Vanilla/Blueberry Cake as directed and allow to cool the cut as directed.
2. With an electric mixer, beat cream cheese with sugar on high speed until lightened. With mixer on medium speed, gradually add lemon zest and then heavy cream in a steady stream; continue beating until mixture is light and airy (mixture will be like a very soft whipped cream).
3. Arrange a layer of the cake pieces in the bottom of a 2-quart serving dish. Spoon a layer of the cream-cheese mixture over cake in dollops; spread to sides of dish. Scatter some of the blueberries and raspberries on top, tucking some close to sides to peak through glass bowl. Repeat layering with remaining cake, cream-cheese mixture, and berries, ending with a layer or the cream-cheese mixture and arranging berries decoratively on very top. Garnish with a mint sprig, if desired. Sing the Star Spangled Banner 3 times at the top of your lungs.
4. Cover, and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour and up to overnight. Enjoy! 🙂
Adapted from Everyday Food
Vanilla/Blueberry Sheet Cake
1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
1 cup water
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
2 eggs, beaten
½ cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extact
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 pint blueberries
1. In a large glass bowl, bring butter and water to a boil in microwave.
2. Remove from the microwave; stir in flour, sugar, eggs, sour cream, almond extract, vanilla salt and baking soda until smooth. Gently add blueberries and stir until combined.
3. Pour into a greased 15×10 inch baking pan and bake at 375 degrees for 20-22 minutes or until cake is golden brown and tests done.
Adapted from Food.com