A secret recipe?………….. Yup, a big secret! Until today, that is……………
You see it’s “revelation day” for The Secret Recipe Club; a fun game for food bloggers. Each participant is assigned a blog to clandestinely explore. We then choose a recipe, prepare it and blog about it – all the bloggers involved, disclose their recipes on the same day – today!
My commission this month was a delightful blog called Hugs & Cookies XOXO ………… but it wasn’t an easy task. Check out Danielle’s amazing blog and you’ll know exactly what I mean – she has a myriad of wonderful recipes that seemed to be calling my name! I felt like a kid in a candy shop! Finally I decided on her Roasted Potatoes with Scallions.
These adorable, yummy looking potatoes caught my eye ……… and my imagination. They’re cut in fun shapes before roasting in a hot oven with a simple combination of olive oil, salt and pepper. They’re amazing on their own, making a unique and delicious side for grilled meat, sandwiches, etc. I decided to take a different route and serve them as an appetizer. I made a Fresh Basil & Chive Dipping Sauce
to go along side; they turned out crispy and golden and I have to admit, we all wanted more! I think you’ll enjoy these delightful potatoes as much as we did – have fun trying them with different shaped cutters! Thanks Danielle!
P.S. These are such a fun cooking project for kids – my granddaughters helped cut out the shapes and they had a ball!
Whimsical Roasted Potatoes with Scallions & Basil/Chive Dipping Sauce
6 large baking potatoes, cut in ½ inch wide slices, widthwise
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
fresh ground black pepper
2-3 thinly sliced scallions, for garnish (I used chives as that’s what I had available – you could use any fresh herbs, thyme, rosemary or parsley would also be delicious!)
1. Preheat oven to 400˚F. Spray a large sheet pan with cooking spray.
2. Using metal cookies cutters, punch out shapes from potato slices and place in a large bowl.
3. Toss potatoes with the olive oil, sea salt and pepper and arrange on prepared sheet pan in a single layer.
4. Roast for 40-60 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally with a thin bladed metal spatula.
5. Removed from oven and sprinkle with scallions. Serve with Basil/Chive Dipping Sauce, if desired.
Basil/Chive Dipping Sauce
½ cup fresh basil leaves, packed
¼ cup fresh chives, packed
1 teaspoon Sriracha
⅓ cup rice wine vinegar
¾ cup salad oil
1 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons honey
1 clove garlic
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
sea salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. In a food processor bowl combine vinegar, basil, chives, garlic, mustard, sugar and honey. Puree mixture until smooth.
2. With motor running slowly add the salad oil to form an emulsion.
3. Season with salt and pepper to taste.