They say “a picture is worth a thousand words“……. so I won’t say any more except………..
you want this recipe in your holiday collection ………. For sure!
Sour Cream Coffee Cake w/ Gingersnap-Toffee Streusel
Ingredients for Streusel:
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup packed light-brown sugar
3 tablespoons finely chopped crystalized ginger
1 ½ sticks melted butter
¾ cup toffee bits (like Heath Bits of Brickle or Skor Toffee Bits)
¾ cup crushed ginger snaps (I put them in a zip-lock bag and crush them with a rolling pin.)
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream (I always use reduced-fat)
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2-3 tablespoons whole milk, start with 2 and, if too thick to drizzle add just a bit at a time until it’s just right
1. Make the streusel topping; mix together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, crystalized ginger, crushed ginger snaps, toffee bits and salt. Pour melted butter over flour mixture and mix with a fork until large crumbs form. Set aside.
4. Beat butter and granulated sugar with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, then vanilla. Beat in flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour. Continue to beat until well combined.
5. Spoon half the batter into pan. Sprinkle half of streusel mixture evenly over batter. Top with remaining batter, and spread evenly using an offset spatula. Sprinkle remaining streusel evenly over batter.
6. Bake at 350˚F until cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack, and let cool completely. Remove cake from pan, and transfer to parchment or foil.
7. Make the glaze; mix together powdered sugar and milk. If mixture is too thick to drizzle, add a bit more milk, just a few drops at a time, till right. Drizzle over cake, let icing drip down sides. Let set for 30 minutes before serving.