I heard a little birdie say you were looking for something exciting for your appetizer collection. If I was listening correctly, the fine-feathered friend said, you wanted something seasonal, festive, fabulously delicious and super easy to put together. You’re not asking for much, are you? Nope …. not at all. Actually, your wish is my command. I’ve gotcha covered!
Oh, and if you’re looking for a way to dress up every-day chicken this crimson relish will do the trick. Use it as a festive, healthy topping for grilled or pan-seared boneless chicken breasts or thighs. With fresh cranberries, pomegranate arils, honey, ginger, cilantro, orange zest and a splash of Sriracha, it’s sweet, spicy and bursting with vibrant flavor.
One last idea, take ¼ cup of the cranberry-pom relish, add 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, a pinch of sea salt and a generous grind of fresh black pepper. Drizzle in 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil and now …………. you’ve got a super delicious salad dressing that just screams “holidays”! Toss arugula, field greens or fresh spinach with a splash of the pretty dressing. Add a few orange slices and maybe a handful of toasted walnuts ………….. Voilá! A super salad everyone will be raving about!
Want to see more delicious recipes from The Café? Follow us on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST and TWITTER. Be sure to sign up for our EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION. That way you’ll never miss a post, or any of our “TIPS, TRICKS and IDEAS” emails, which you won’t find here on the blog.
- For the cranberry-pomegranate relish:
- 1 pound fresh (or frozen) cranberries, washed
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger, don't worry about chopping it too fine at this point
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce
- ½ cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- zest from one orange, reserve a bit for garnish
- ¾-1 cup pomegranate arils or seeds*, reserve a few for garnish
- finely chopped fresh cilantro or parsley, for garnish
- For the crostini:
- 1 thin, good quality baguette, sliced about ¼ inch thick
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened (I always use the lower fat, not no-fat)
- Place the cranberries, ginger, sugar, honey and Sriracha in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse on and off several times till cranberries are coarsely chopped. Don't process too much.
- Add cilantro and pulse a few more times. Not too much, you want cilantro bits to be visible and mixture to be a bit chunky.
- Transfer to a storage container and add pomegranate arils* and orange zest. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or till ready to use.
- For the crostini, preheat oven to 350˚F. Line 2 sheet pans with foil or parchment paper, if desired for easy clean up.
- Place baguette slices on prepared pans. Brush lightly with oil. Sprinkle lightly with salt and a grind of pepper.
- Bake for 14-18 minutes or until golden, rotating pans halfway through baking time.
- To assemble bruschetta, whisk cream cheese until creamy. Spread about ½-1 tablespoon on each crostini. Top with a scoop of the relish. Garnish with a bit of orange zest, if desired.
* If you avoid pomegranates or are intimated by them because they're a pain to de-seed, BE SURE to check out this step by step tutorial: How to de-seed a pomegranate with NO FUSS, NO MESS, NO WATER, in less than a minute! It's quite life changing ............ at least when it comes to us pom lovers! :)