Fabulous Fresh Herbs; Tips & Tricks

Fresh Herbs (8).jpg

I remember someone telling me, many years ago, that once I started cooking with fresh herbs, I’d never go back ………. I didn’t “get it” back then. I wondered, what could be so great about some dumb little green leaves?

Now, depending on the season, I always have a stash of herbs in my garden, on my window sill or in my refrigerator. I’m thrilled that Spring has wrapped her lovely warm arms around us. I love seeing my herbs leaping, in growth, literally by the day!  Seeing them leap makes my heart leap and I have to admit that “somebody” many years ago was perfectly correct. Fresh herbs do add amazing flavor to just about everything. And I never want to go back.

Fresh Herbs (9)

You won’t find many savory dishes here at The Café that don’t incorporate the fabulous flavors of fresh herbs. It’s the rule rather than the exception. I’ve had lots of years to learn the ins and outs of cooking with herbs, so I’m sharing some of those today over on PARADE Magazine. I’d love for you to join me there and we’ll take a walk through my beloved herb garden.

The Café on PARADE

Fabulous Fresh Herbs 2Collage.jpg

Comments

1. Happier Than A Pig In Mud says

Your pics all look healthy and happy! I lost my rosemary bush and thyme to the extra harsh winter this year. Looking forward to getting new plants in a couple weeks. Happy Easter Week Chris:@)

2. says

What a great article you wrote for Parade Magazine, great tips too. Your herbs look so healthy, love how you have them in little pots here and there.

3. says

I cannot tell you how many times I’ve looked at my deck rails and wished for your lovely herb garden and watering system. You have a very sweet husband and your pots of fresh green herbs look so happy! They are some of the prettiest plants I’ve ever seen. You know I love gardening and fresh herbs make me very happy too.

4. says

Chris, have you ever heard about pineapple sage? That is what I found at our market today – lovely little greeen leaves and when you rub them your fingers smell of pineapple. To be used in fruit salads. I had never seen that herb before.

5. says

I’ve always wanted to have my own herb garden but the weather here is so harsh… It can get too cold and too hot in some days. I’ll make sure to check your article and know how you managed the snowy days. Thanks

6. says

Your plants look so vibrant! I’m looking forward to gardening this year. It’s been many years since I had a garden and really didn’t appreciate it at all. I can’t wait and will use your tips. Thank you!

7. says

Chris, absolutely outstanding pictures of all your herbs – I could not agree with you more. Cannot live without those herbs that should always be close by for cooking and baking!
    Have a lovely Wednesday!

8. says

I too love growing my own herbs though living in a tiny apartment in a polluted metro city makes it tough. Yet I try to manage a few. But when the plants wilt while I go for my annual vacations, it pains me to no end!
    I love the first shot and you really have taken a great deal of care of those wonderful herbs.

9. says

Love your herb set up! We’re lucky enough to have space in our garden for a pretty extensive herb garden, but it’s not as nifty looking as yours. It’s impossible to cook without fresh herbs, isn’t it? At least for me! Good stuff — thanks.

10. Cathy E says

Hi Chris! I’m waaayyyy behind on my blog reading so I am using Easter evening to catch up. I am so grateful for this post. I have tried growing herbs in the past, but with limited success. However, I am tired of buying herbs from the store that are too much for two people to use before they spoil! Let’s see if this helps!

Hope your day was blessed!