Do you ever get something in your head and your just can’t get it out? I’ve had peppermint bark on my brain lately.
I’m crazy about it; layers of melt-in-your-mouth white and dark chocolate showered with crunchy bits of peppermint candy cane…………… to me it’s quite addictive! And it seems that everywhere I go I see boxes of the yummy stuff all beautifully wrapped and stacked, just waiting to be carried away to the delight the recipients!
Now I know there are lots of recipes out there for peppermint bark but I decided to do something a little different…………….. something fun to give it a new twist …………… yet keep the same delicious chocolate and mint flavors. I experimented and played with a few ideas but finally came up with these Peppermint Bark Crackle Cookies. I took a tried and true, favorite cookie recipe I’ve been making for many years, Chocolate Mint Snaps, added lots of chunks of dark, milk and white chocolate and after forming the dough into balls as the recipe called for, I rolled them in crushed candy canes instead of sugar before the final baking step.
The aroma was heavenly as they baked early one morning when I had a bit of extra time – I’m a bit ashamed to say that they were so enticing we sampled one for breakfast! The final result is delightful and if you enjoy peppermint bark, you will LOVE these cookies. They come together quite quickly and would make a lovely gift for neighbors, friends, teachers, etc. Just don’t expect them to last long in the cookie jar!
Oh, and I almost forgot to tell you the most important thing…………….. there seems to be a fellow from the North Pole who’s quite crazy about these cookies………….. so you just might want to keep some handy in cause he shows up at your house! 🙂
Ho, ho, ho! Well, it’s been well over a quarter of a century ago, since this picture and the note above were penned………………….but the Christmas magic lives on!
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- ¾ cup butter
- ½ cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup corn syrup
- 2 ½ tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 6 ounces semi sweet chocolate chunks, coarsely chopped*
- 6 ounces milk chocolate chips, coarsely chopped*
- 6 ounces white chocolate chips, coarsely chopped*
- 2 cup crushed candy canes, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease several sheet pans with cooking spray. Melt chocolate in microwave for 1½ - 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Cream butter and shortening. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add melted chocolate, eggs, corn syrup, water, and vanilla. Mix well. Combine flour, soda, and salt and add to creamed mixture, beating just until blended. Add chopped chocolate and 1 cup of the crushed candy canes.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls (I like to use an ice cream scoop for even sized balls) and roll in remaining crushed candy canes.
- Place on greased cookie sheets and flatten slightly with a flat-bottomed glass, just so cookies don't roll around the pan. Bake at 350 for approximately 12 minutes, do not over bake! If edges of cookies are uneven when you remove them from the oven, gently push them back into submission with a small plastic scraper or a table knife while they're still hot.
- Cool on cookie sheets for just a minute or two.
- Remove to cooling rack and cool completely.