Need a “go-to” dessert recipe for the Spring and Summer season? These Key Lime Tarts with Coconut Pecan Crust are “it”!
See what I mean? There aren’t many who could resist them ……….
These Key Lime Tarts with Coconut Pecan Crust ares the perfect little desserts to celebrate special occasions, to take to picnics, potlucks and parties and to have stashed away in your freezer for those emergency sweet tooth attacks.
Everyone loves it. It’s totally “make ahead”.
You will be the star of the dessert scene. Guaranteed. Believe me, I know from personal experience.
- 8 whole graham crackers, about 4 ounces
- ¼ cup sugar
- 8 tablespoons butter, (1 stick) melted
- 1 cup pecans
- ½ cup flaked shredded coconut
- 5 large egg yolks
- ¼ cup sugar
- lime zest from 4 limes
- ½ cup lime juice (from about 4-5 limes, depending on juiciness of limes)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Spray 6 - 4½-inch removable bottom tart pans with baking spray. Rub with a paper towel to evenly distribute spray. Line bottoms with parchment paper, if desired.
- Process graham crackers till finely ground. Add butter and sugar and process till combined. Add pecans and pulse 6-10 times or until coarsely ground. Add coconut and pulse 3-4 times, just till incorporated.
- Divide between 6 tart pans with removable bottoms. About ⅓ generous cup per pan. Press graham cracker mixture firmly up sides and into bottom of pans. Place tart pans on a sheet pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- For the filling - in a medium heatproof bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until smooth and combined. Add lime juice and stir. Place bowl over a pan of simmering water and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and add condensed milk, Greek yogurt and all but 1 teaspoon of the lime zest.
- Divide evenly between the baked crusts and sprinkle with the reserved lime zest. Freeze, uncovered for at least 2 hours. If not serving after this initial freezing, cover tightly with foil. Will keep for several weeks in the freezer. Remove from freezer 10-20 minutes before serving. Add a dollop of freshly whipped cream, if desired.