Key Lime Tarts with Coconut Pecan Crust

Key Lime Tarts with Coconut Pecan Crust - if you're a key-lime lover, you'll go CRAZY over this. It's a classy step up from every day key lime pie!

Need a “go-to” dessert recipe for the Spring and Summer season?  These Key Lime Tarts with Coconut Pecan Crust are “it”!

See what I mean? There aren’t many who could resist them ……….

These Key Lime Tarts with Coconut Pecan Crust ares the perfect little desserts to celebrate special occasions, to take to picnics, potlucks and parties and to have stashed away in your freezer for those emergency sweet tooth attacks.

Everyone loves it. It’s totally “make ahead”.

You will be the star of the dessert scene. Guaranteed. Believe me, I know from personal experience.

5.0 from 4 reviews
Key Lime Tartlets w/ Coconut Pecan Crust

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Serves: 6
Ingredients
  • 1¼ cups of graham cracker crumbs*
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • 8 tablespoons butter, (1 stick) melted
  • 1 cup pecans
  • ½ cup flaked shredded coconut
  • 5 large egg yolks
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • lime zest from 4 limes
  • ½ cup lime juice (from about 4-5 limes, depending on juiciness of limes)
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk
  • ½ cup Greek yogurt
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350˚F. Spray 6 - 4½-inch removable bottom tart pans with baking spray. Rub with a paper towel to evenly distribute spray. Line bottoms with parchment paper, if desired.
  2. Process graham crackers till finely ground. Add butter and sugar and process till combined. Add pecans and pulse 6-10 times or until coarsely ground. Add coconut and pulse 3-4 times, just till incorporated.
  3. Divide between 6 tart pans with removable bottoms. About ⅓ generous cup per pan. Press graham cracker mixture firmly up sides and into bottom of pans. Place tart pans on a sheet pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely.
  4. For the filling - in a medium heatproof bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until smooth and combined. Add lime juice and stir. Place bowl over a pan of simmering water and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and add condensed milk, Greek yogurt and all but 1 teaspoon of the lime zest.
  5. Divide evenly between the baked crusts and sprinkle with the reserved lime zest. Freeze, uncovered for at least 2 hours. If not serving after this initial freezing, cover tightly with foil. Will keep for several weeks in the freezer. Remove from freezer 10-20 minutes before serving. Add a dollop of freshly whipped cream, if desired.
Notes
* this is about 8-10 whole graham cracker sheets but weight will vary depending on the variety of graham cracker you use. It's best to crush them and then measure out 1¼ cups.

Comments

1. says

Hi Chris, Another gorgeous dessert, Love the fact that these are little tartlets and can be made ahead of time. The crust looks and sounds amazing!

2. Happier Than A Pig In Mud says

If I had these stashed in my freezer, they wouldn’t be there long! They sound great:@)

3. says

I was describing key lime pie to someone today and explaining the difference between an ordinary lime and a small key lime. I love the crust AND I got a shipment of graham crackers so I’m going to make this on the weekend.

4. says

If I cook your food and present it the way you do to my family, they’ll be spoiled like anything :) … Love Key Lime tarts, and adding coconuts makes it heavenly.

5. says

Sweet Mother of Pearl these look good!! I have never had key lime pie and it’s time I give it a try. I have two of the little tart pans but getting four more won’t be a problem. Beautiful work!!

6. says

Hello Ms Chris, I am so enjoying your website that I found tonight and was so excited! To find someone here in NC also. I had been thinking of going back to Louisiana or Texas. My family are all out there and now I am here alone. I do love your recipes! Thank you for sharing I cannot wait to see what you do next!!! Have a great week.
    Regards;

7. LInda Hamilton says

Tom’s favorite is key lime pie………..this looks amazing and I can’t wait to try it. Can it be printed as I didn’t see the usual “Print” and am not saavy with the “Pin it stuff”!! :-) Blessings this Easter!! Miss you and Scott!

8. Faith says

Hi Chris! This looks delicious! I am wondering if you have a recommendation for a substitute for the pecans? My son is allergic to tree nuts (he’s good with coconut though!) Thanks!

9. Colleen says

Hi Chris! I am making this tarte for Easter and my big question is about the graham cracker crumbs. I have a box of crumbs, so do you have any idea how much 4 oz /8 whole graham crackers equals in cups? I’ve tried to look it up, but get lots of conflicting answers. Hope you can clarify soon! Thankyou!

• says

Hi Coleen,

That is a great question and I appreciate you writing to clarify it. I actually tweaked the recipe just now to make it more clear. There are so many varieties of graham crackers and each are differing in their weight per cracker. You’ll want to use 1 1/4 cups of the crumbs. Hope you enjoy these as much as we do. Happy Easter!

Kind Regards,

10. Hansi says

I want to make these for Easter but will be traveling to my mom’s. If these thaw and are just refrigerator cold, will they still work or do I save this for another day? I bought the ingredients before I noticed the frozen part. Ooops!

11. Bette says

Hi Chris- I made the Key Lime Tart to take to a dinner party in Key West. I made it in an 11” tart pan and froze it two days ahead. Living in the Keys, I was lucky to get fresh key limes that were grown in Homestead, FL and I think they made a big difference in the great taste of the filling. Perfect tartness! I put it wrapped and frozen in a cooler on ice for the 30 minute drive and took it out about 10 minutes before cutting it to serve. The only problem I had was that it had softened to the consistency of thick pudding but didn’t hold its shape when cut into pie shape pieces. Is it meant to be made in the smaller tart pans and eaten right after it’s out of the freezer for that reason, or did I do something wrong? When I thickened the eggs they thickened nicely so I thought it was fine. Both the tart filling and the crust is so delicious (everyone loved it!) and I want to make it again as it is a nice change from the normal Key Lime Pie, but want to know if the consistency is supposed to be that soft? Can it be baked and would that help? Thank you for so many great recipes—I have made many of them with great results.