I have an official announcement to make: I am a wee bit dense. Well, maybe more than a wee bit in this particular matter.
I’ve been rolling this recipe around in my head for the past week, knowing that Cinco de Mayo was approaching. A few days ago, I asked my husband, Scott, “Do you know when Cinco de Mayo is?”, wanting to be sure to get this recipe for Pineapple, Avocado & Fresh Corn Salsa out a few days before the actual celebration day. Very kindly, he said, “Well hon, cinco does mean five in Spanish you know…”.
Cinco de Mayo. Duh ………. I don’t know a lot of Spanish, but I do know enough to count in Español. I just never put it together and each year I’ve been trying to remember which day in May (I knew that much) the festive Mexican holiday falls on. The revelation was really quite embarrassing, but I’m hoping you’ll enjoy the recipe despite my lingual ignorance.
Like I said, the recipe’s been in the making for a week now, ever since I got an email from my friend Angela, at The California Avocado Commission. She wrote to let me know that I would be receiving a shipment of fresh California avocados this week. The avocados were sent as part of a celebration announcing the beginning of the California Avocado season.” Woo hoo! How exciting, I couldn’t wait!
The avocados came yesterday, and they certainly are beauties. I’ve had fun, since I received the email, thinking about how I would use my delightful, unexpected stash. This salsa is one of the recipes I came up with. Along with the creamy diced avocado, I added fresh tender corn, crunchy English cucumber, sweet juicy pineapple and finely diced jalapeño. A splash of fresh lime juice, a drizzle of honey and a handful of finely chopped fresh cilantro bring everything together with lots of bright flavor.
This salsa is wonderful with chips, but would also be great spooned over grilled or pan-seared pork, chicken or seafood. I served it on a bed of ribboned Romaine and topped it with shredded rotisserie chicken breast. It made a light, yet vibrantly flavored spring lunch. Although this salsa was created with Cinco de Mayo in mind, it would be a great addition to any spring or summer menu.
So, happy Cinco de Mayo to you (it’s on the 5th of May, just in case you’re wondering) and many thanks to The California Avocado Commission for their kind gift and the inspiration for this recipe!
- finely grated zest from 1 medium- size lime
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ¼ cup diced fresh pineapple
- 2 ears fresh corn, kernels removed from cobs* (see notes)
- 1 large ripe, (not too soft) California Avocado, seeded, peeled and diced
- ¾ cup diced white onion (¼ -inch dice)
- ¾ cup diced English cucumber, (¼ -inch dice)
- 1 medium jalapeño, seeds & veins removed, then finely chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine lime juice, zest, honey and salt. Stir till honey is well incorporated.
- Combine all other ingredients in a medium size bowl. Add lime juice mixture and stir gently till well mixed. Serve with chips or over grilled meat, poultry or fish.