I think a little birdie heard me. Last week I was talking about how I loved getting packages in mail with my name on them. Well, it was just a few days later when my husband went to the door and came back with a shoe-box size package .. for me! The return address was California. Hmmmm … I shook it, turned it over several times and tried to guess what it was, but in the end, I didn’t have a clue. When I very carefully hastily (like a wild animal! – photographer/husband’s edit) opened the box, I found a lovely surprise ………….. a humunga bunga bag of the prettiest, biggest, plumpest walnuts (organic English walnuts to be precise) I’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting!
A virtual friend of The Café named Brit happens to have a walnut farm in California called Filmore Farms. She thoughtfully packaged and sent the beautiful walnuts via the U.S. Postal Service, and I happily received them ………….. and it wasn’t long before walnut creations began swirling and twirling in this girl’s head.
Apple Pie Candied Walnuts
- Category: Snack, salad topping
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cup walnuts
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 325˚F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or foil. If using foil, spray with cooking spray or lightly grease with oil.
- Combine butter, olive oil, brown sugar, honey, apple pie spice, and sea salt in a medium-size sauté pan. Cook over medium heat until bubbly and well combined, stirring occasionally.
- Add walnuts and cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring continuously with a heat-proof spatula or wooden spoon till golden and sugar mixture binds to the walnuts. Turn onto prepared pan, and working quickly, separate nuts with wooden spoon or spatula. Be careful the nuts will be very hot!
- Place pan in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until nuts are a deep, golden brown. Stir nuts occasionally during baking time, then spread out again to a single layer. Remove from oven. Cool completely, then store in an airtight container.