These Avocado Breakfast Flatbreads make getting up in the morning so much easier! They have a delicious combination of traditional eggs and lots of south-of-the-border flavor.
This was definitely the fare to satisfy “starving” folks and I had the flatbreads ready when they walked in the door. We all ate eagerly and agreed that the delightful dish was a definite “keeper”.
The rest is super simple, slice a few tomatoes, mash an avocado or two and quickly saute the eggs. It makes a lovely meal, and I think you’ll agree, the results are unique, fresh and very delicious!
P.S. Although I call these Breakfast Flatbreads, they also make a fabulous lunch or casual dinner!
- 4 naans flatbreads or pocketless pitas, available at larger groceries and Indian markets
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large California ripe avocados cut in half, seeded and peeled
- juice of 1 lime
- sea salt
- 2 large Roma tomatoes sliced
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 4 large eggs
- thinly sliced green onions
- fresh herbs for garnish
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare naans by heating 1 teaspoon of olive oil over medium-high heat in a medium size non-stick sauté pan. When oil is hot, place 1 naan, flatbread or pita in pan and cook for about 30 seconds or until beginning to turn golden and fragrant. Flip to other side and cook another 30 seconds or until light golden. Transfer to a plate. Repeat for remaining naans.
- Mash avocado with a fork. Add lime juice and sea salt to taste. Divide mashed avocado between the 4 naans and spread to within a half inch of the edges. Top avocado with sliced tomatoes.
- Heat the same non-stick skillet (or a grill pan) over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 teaspoon butter and swirl it to coat the pan. Immediately crack one of the eggs into the skillet. Add 1 teaspoon water, reduce heat to medium low and cover. Cook for 1 minute then remove the egg from the pan by gently sliding onto avocado/tomato topped naans. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper. Repeat for remaining eggs.
- Garnish flatbreads with sliced green onions and fresh herbs, if desired. Serve with a slice or two of fresh lime.