Oh my goodness! Just wait until you take one bite of these incredibly delicious Chocolate Chewy Meringue Cookies; super simple, crackly and crispy on the outside, chewy, fudgy, melt-in-your-mouth on the inside and light-as-a-feather cookies. Just one bite, and I have a feeling you’ll be smitten just like I am!
My sweet sister and chef extraordinaire, Annie, sent me this recipe a few months ago. The cookies sounded good but, come on, a cookie with no flour and no butter? Could it really be that good? Well, doubting Thomas (herself) is here to tell you, they’re not just good, they’re insanely good!
Try them, today – they won’t take long to throw together, they’ll dirty only one bowl, they have a short ingredient list and, well, let’s just say that if you’re a chocolate lover, these very well may become one of your most beloved recipes!
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup plus 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 ½ cups chocolate chips
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- optional delicious ingredients:
- dried cranberries or dried cherries
- Heat oven to 350˚F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Spray the parchment paper lightly with cooking spray.
- Mix sugar, cocoa, and salt in a bowl. Stir in chocolate chips. Add egg whites and vanilla; beat with a fork or electric mixer on medium until batter is just moistened.
- (Do not overbeat batter or it will stiffen.)
- Drop batter by teaspoonful onto baking sheets in evenly spaced mounds. Bake cookies until tops are lightly cracked and glossy, about 15 minutes. Cool briefly, then carefully remove from parchment paper with a spatula.
Leave the cookies on the paper lined sheet pans until they are cool, then remove to a storage container.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. Makes about 4 dozen cookies.
I found that slightly rounded teaspoons of batter work best. I tried making bigger ones and they did not bake as nicely. Also, make sure to leave plenty of room around each one as they will spread - a lot!~
I tried them with 2 cups of chocolate chips and a cup of roughly chopped dried cherries - fabulous!~ I also tried them with 2 cups of chocolate chips and 1 cup of toffee bits, even better!! 🙂
Adapted from Year Twenty Seven