I didn’t want you to think I’d jumped over the deep edge …. I mean, with my Winter White Red Velvet Fudge, Pink Citrus Granita and Five Sweet Sensations for Your Sweetheart posts all in one week, I didn’t want you to think I’d gone off on a sugar binge, never to return to sensibleness.
Nope, not me! After sampling a few too many of the above named Valentine treats (of course, I do it for you, just to be certain it’s blog-worthy, hehe) I was craving something fresh, fun and festive ………… something that would redeem myself in your eyes. I think your faith in me will be restored when you check out this delicious Citrus, Strawberry and Avocado Salad with Strawberry Poppyseed Dressing.
It would be wonderful for lunch, as a first course, or to accompany grilled or roasted chicken, pork, or seafood. It would also be perfect for a romantic Valentine’s dinner. I’m imagining how lovely it would look on a pretty plate served with The Café’s Irish Roasted Salmon. Add some low lights, candles, and classical music and I have a feeling feathery-winged little cherubs will abound…
This recipe can also be seen on PARADE Magazine.
Strawberry Poppy Seed Dressing
Bright, sweet and fresh, this dressing is a crowd pleaser!
- Category: Salad Dressing
- 1 cup diced fresh strawberries
- ¼ cup lime fresh juice
- 6 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- Place all dressing ingredients except canola oil and poppy seeds in a blender container. Process for 1-2 minutes on high or until very smooth.
- Transfer to a medium-size bowl. Add canola oil in a slow, steady stream while vigorously stirring with a fork or whisk. Stir in poppy seeds. Taste and add a bit more honey, salt and/or pepper, if needed.
Citrus, Strawberry and Avocado Salad
A delicious, fresh combination of ingredients!
- Category: Salad
- 6 cups fresh greens (I used arugula and máche)*
- 1 medium navel oranges, peeled, halved, and sliced
- 1 medium cara cara orange, peeled, halved, and sliced
- 1 medium blood orange, peeled, halved, and sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 medium strawberries, thinly sliced
- 1 small avocado, peeled, halved, and sliced
- 2 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- Place greens on a large platter. Top with orange slices, avocado, strawberry slices and red onion rings.
- Scatter with goat cheese, then drizzle lightly with dressing. Pass extra dressing in a cruet or small pitcher at the table.
* Máche is a beautiful, tender green that’s usually only available in the late winter and early spring. It’s sometimes called lamb’s lettuce. I snatch it up whenever I see it because it makes a gorgeous salad. If you can’t find it at your market, arugula will work just fine in this salad, as will baby spinach.