I didn’t want you to think I’d jumped over the deep edge …. I mean, with my Winter White Red Velvet Fudge, Pink Citrus Granita and Five Sweet Sensations for Your Sweetheart posts all in one week, I didn’t want you to think I’d gone off on a sugar binge, never to return to sensibleness.
Nope, not me! After sampling a few too many of the above named Valentine treats (of course, I do it for you, just to be certain it’s blog-worthy, hehe) I was craving something fresh, fun and festive ………… something that would redeem myself in your eyes. I think your faith in me will be restored when you check out this delicious Citrus, Strawberry and Avocado Salad with Strawberry Poppyseed Dressing.
It would be wonderful for lunch, as a first course, or to accompany grilled or roasted chicken, pork, or seafood. It would also be perfect for a romantic Valentine’s dinner. I’m imagining how lovely it would look on a pretty plate served with The Café’s Irish Roasted Salmon. Add some low lights, candles, and classical music and I have a feeling feathery-winged little cherubs will abound…
This recipe can also be seen on PARADE Magazine.
- 1 cup diced fresh strawberries
- ¼ cup lime fresh juice
- 6 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- Place all dressing ingredients except canola oil and poppy seeds in a blender container. Process for 1-2 minutes on high or until very smooth.
- Transfer to a medium-size bowl. Add canola oil in a slow, steady stream while vigorously stirring with a fork or whisk. Stir in poppy seeds. Taste and add a bit more honey, salt and/or pepper, if needed.
- 6 cups fresh greens I used arugula and máche*
- 1 medium navel oranges peeled, halved, and sliced
- 1 medium cara cara orange peeled, halved, and sliced
- 1 medium blood orange peeled, halved, and sliced
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 6 medium strawberries thinly sliced
- 1 small avocado peeled, halved, and sliced
- 2 oz goat cheese crumbled
- Place greens on a large platter. Top with orange slices, avocado, strawberry slices and red onion rings.
- Scatter with goat cheese, then drizzle lightly with dressing. Pass extra dressing in a cruet or small pitcher at the table.