Do you get tired of the same-old-same-old salads?
There are lots of things that get to be mundane to me after a while, but salad does NOT fall into that category. In fact, I have the opposite problem. Set me loose at the farmer’s market, a street market or in the produce section of my favorite grocery and I come away with my mind spinning; a zillion ideas for new salad creations.
And salad dressings? Same scenario. This one was inspired by a quick run into the grocery store. As soon as I entered, I spotted a huge bin of clementines with large bags of clementines for a super great price. It was the first sale I’d seen on them this season and that’s all it took to get the gears going. An inspiration for a new salad dressing was brewing.
It didn’t take long, after I arrived home, to tear open the bag of clementines and start puttering. My first thought was that ginger would pair nicely with the bright, fresh citrus. I also pulled out honey, garlic and coriander and started working…
I decided to make it super simple, I basically just threw everything except the oil in the blender and pushed the puree button until it was smooth and well blended. Then a slow drizzle of olive oil helped emulsify the dressing and make it creamy and silky smooth. That’s all there is to it!
I tested out this Clementine Ginger Salad Dressing on family and friends over the weekend and got a thumbs up from everyone who tried it. It would be great on any fall/winter salad. I also drizzled it over pan-seared salmon for a easy and delicious entree. I think I’ll try chicken next.
Now it’s your turn. Whip up a batch and have some fun!
P.S. Check back Friday for a wonderful salad using this dressing. There’s a sneak preview of it in the first photo – it’s vibrant, healthy and delicious. Oh, and the recipe includes a crunchy topping that’s so good you’ll find yourself eating it like candy!
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- finely grated zest of two clementines
- 3 tablespoons fresh clementine juice about 2 clementines
- 2 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh ginger
- 1 medium clove garlic peeled
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Combine all ingredients except olive oil in a blender container. Mix on medium speed until smooth.
- With blender running, slowly drizzle in olive oil. To prevent dressing from spattering all over, cover the top of the blender with plastic wrap. Push down on plastic wrap so it droops a bit then place lid on blender with center cap removed. Take a wooden skewer or toothpick and poke several holes in plastic wrap. Slowly drizzle oil through opening in blender cover onto plastic wrap. Oil will seep through the holes. When all oil has been incorporated, remove blender cap and plastic wrap and transfer dressing to a storage container. Taste and season if needed with more salt and freshly ground pepper.