This Tomato and Feta Appetizer comes together quickly and is fresh and delicious!
I’ve got a trick for you to stick up your sleeve. It’s a trick that just might get you out of a pinch. It’s a delicious appetizer that you can throw together in minutes. You know, when unexpected guests suddenly arrive or when you’re serving guests after a long day at work. Maybe you’re like me; I sometimes forget to plan an appetizer when entertaining guests for dinner.
I’ve served this appetizer several times lately and each time it’s flown off the plate and drawn rave reviews. It’s fresh, bright and loaded with fabulous flavor. In fact, it’s so delicious that when I made it the last time (to take photos for you), Scott and I enjoyed it so much that we just decided to call it “dinner”. See what we go through, how we suffer for you? 🙂
Seriously, just stock your pantry and fridge with a few ingredients and you can pull this one together in the blink of an eye; drizzle olive oil generously on a pretty plate. Add chopped tomatoes, bell pepper, and green onion. A sprinkle of Greek seasoning and fresh oregano comes next and then a handful of crumbled Feta. Top it all of with lemon zest, freshly ground black pepper and more fresh oregano.
That’s it, though you can mix and match ingredients as you please. Sometimes I add chopped cucumber or substitute it for the bell pepper. A scatter of Kalamata olives is a delightful touch and other fresh herbs will add more vibrant flavor. It’s delicious with crostini or pita chips but would also be wonderful served with slices of fresh baguette.
See why you need to stick this one up your sleeve? You just never know when magic will be required and this rabbit can be pulled out the hat in a zip, a delicious zip!
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil use your best for this
- 3 medium Roma tomatoes chopped fairly small
- ½ medium bell pepper any color, chopped fairly small
- 4 green onions sliced thin
- Greek seasoning available in the spice section of most grocery stores
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh oregano
- ¾ cup crumbled Feta cheese
- zest of 1 lemon
- freshly ground black pepper
- optional ingredients; chopped cucumber zucchini, fresh corn, avocado, cannellini beans, chickpeas, finely chopped prosciutto, fresh basil, thyme or rosemary,
- Pour olive oil onto a serving plate or platter.
- Add chopped tomatoes, and bell pepper. Add optional ingredients as desired. Sprinkle generously with Greek seasoning, most of the fresh oregano and most of the green onion.
- Top with Feta, lemon zest, freshly ground black pepper and the rest of the oregano and green onion. Add optional ingredients as desired. Serve with fresh bread, crostini or pita chips.
If you have any leftovers, warm a pocketless pita in a pan with a small amount of olive oil till golden. Top with hummus and a large scoop of this yummy stuff. Add a bit of leftover grilled or rotisserie chicken- oh my! Please invite me for lunch if you're serving this!