Bet you didn’t know when you started following The Café, you’d be traveling all around the world! ……… well at least in a culinary sense, that is. Last week it was Tuscany and in the past 18 months, we’ve traveled to all sorts of fun and exotic destinations – Korea, Vietnam, Ireland, England and many more. For the next few days we’ll be having epicurean adventures straight from the heart of France. You’ll love each of these delightful seasonal recipes ………… oh, and there’s more…………… though you may have to wait till Friday to discover it, unless ……………
………….. you’re a really good guesser! You see, we have something really fun to share with you, but we’re not spilling the beans right away.
That’s the “guessing game” part; you get to guess “why we’re sharing French recipes all this week here at The Café”. So, go head and put on your thinking caps, cause there’s a wonderful prize involved for that fortuitous soul who comes closest to figuring it out! A YEAR’S supply of Maldon Sea Salt, my personal favorite finishing/cooking salt and the choice culinary condiment of chefs all over the world.
To enter the guessing giveaway, just leave a comment, share your idea about why we’re posting French recipes this week and “like” us on Facebook or “follow” us on Google Friend Connect. If you’re already a “liker” or a “follower”, just let us know that in your comment along with your guess. The guessing game will be open all week until Thursday at midnight. The winner will be announced on Friday along with the unveiling of “the scoop”!
Oh, and are you wondering about the yummy French Apple Cake? Well, it’s just the type of simple, fabulous dessert you might enjoy in an outdoor Parisian bistro on the Rue Claire or overlooking the lovely Seine River. Maybe you’d rather enjoy your dessert on a Riviera terrace-cafe with the brilliant, turquoise Mediterranean sparkling below. Are you more of the French-Provencal type? This delicious dessert would be quite at home in a quaint country village with sweet, ripe apples harvested from the lovely local orchards.
NOTE: The giveaway is now closed.
- Ingredients for the caramel:
- ¾ cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 apples sliced thinly
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Ingredients for the cake:
- ¾ cups sugar
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 4 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (170˚ C). Spray a 9-inch spring form pan with baking spray.
- For the caramel, heat ¾ cup of sugar and 2 tablespoon of water over medium-low heat. Do not stir, continue cooking, swirling pan from frequently to keep from burning. Remove from heat when golden brown and swirl pan till bubbling stops.
- Pour caramelized mixture into bottom of a spring form pan. Arrange apple slices on top of caramel in a circular pattern. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Set aside.
- Beat together the other ¾ cup of sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add cream cheese and beat until smooth. Add the eggs, one by one beating well and scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Combine the flour and baking soda in a small bowl, then add to the batter gradually, beating until just moistened.6. Gently spread the batter over the apples and caramel.
- Bake at 350˚F ( 170˚ C) for about 40 -50 minutes or until golden and toothpick or skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool for 30 minutes. Invert onto serving tray. Serve warm.