This salad uses the freshest summer produce and a delicious dressing that’s sweet, gingery and a bit spicy. It’s great for any occasion.
I know you might be thinking that you’d need some type of fancy, expensive slicing gadget to prepare this salad, but think again. All you need is one of these! This may be one of the best investments you make this summer. It makes serving healthy fresh salads quick and simple. I do own one of those fancy Japanese mandolins, but honestly, this is the weapon I usually choose for making a quick, delicious summer salad.
- 1 clove fresh garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons good quality strawberry jam or preserves I use my Strawberry Freezer Jam
- 1 teaspoon sriracha chili sauce*
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3-4 ears fresh sweet corn kernels removed
- ½ pound super thin green beans haricot verts, thinly sliced on a long diagonal
- 2 medium parsnips* julienned
- 2 medium carrots* julienned
- 1 medium red bell pepper thinly sliced vertically
- For the vinaigrette, combine all ingredients in a glass jar. Shake well.
- Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl. Divide between six salad plates. Drizzle with the vinaigrette. Pass extra dressing at the table.
Notes: I use the small vegetable peeler/julienner for of these and it works fantastic. Keep the carrots and parsnips long, don't try to cut them before julienning. If you cut them, it makes the job very difficult.