I’ve been on a Hasselback kick lately. A funny name, isn’t it? For something so lovely, unique and delicious! A traditional way of serving potatoes in Sweden that goes back to the 1700’s, Hasselback potatoes have had a surge of popularity over the past few years here in the States.
I love simple ideas that take ordinary every day ingredients to over-the-top extraordinary, and these fabulous Hasselback Potatoes with Lemon & Rosemary certainly fit the bill. They honestly don’t take much longer than a conventional baked potato, but will have your family, friends and guests oohing and aahing about the beautiful presentation and the amazing flavor. Garlic, rosemary and lemon zest married together in olive oil and a bit of butter are a stunning supporting cast to our our humble potato. The soft creamy insides and crisp golden exteriors will definitely add a wow factor to any meal.
Like I said, I’ve been on a Hasselback kick. I love to have Scott grill a simple steak, some lean chicken or a handful of jumbo shrimp. Add a nice salad and a Hassleback potato and you’ve got a meal worthy of royalty! Come to think of it, Hasselback does have a bit of a royal ring to it, doesn’t it?
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic halved
- 1 teaspoon rosemary leaves do not chop leaves
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- sea salt
- 1 teaspoon rosemary leaves finely chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450˚F. Line a baking pan with foil. While oven is heating, prepare potatoes. Cut a small thin slice off one long side of each potato. This will give a flat surface so potatoes will not roll around.
- Place a potato on a work surface with the cut side down. With a sharp knife cut thin vertical slices from one end to the other, cutting almost all the way through, but being careful not to cut all the way through. You can place small wooden dowels, or chopsticks on either side of the potato to keep your knife from slicing through. For me, it works better to just take a bit of care with each cut and to use a very sharp knife.
- Combine olive oil, butter, rosemary leaves and garlic in a small microwave safe bowl. Cook on high for 30 seconds, stir and cook another 30 seconds. Remove from microwave, add lemon zest and set aside.
- With your hands, rub potatoes all over with a bit of olive oil. Arrange potatoes on prepared pan. Place in preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and brush all over with about half of the olive oil/butter mixture, separating the slices slightly with a knife to get some of the oil mixture between the slices. Return to oven for another 15 minutes and repeat brushing with oil.
- Return potatoes to oven for 15 minutes. At this point you should have used up most of the oil/butter mixture and should have just the rosemary and garlic left in the bowl. Add one tablespoon of butter to bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds.
- After the 3rd 15-minute stint in the oven, remove potatoes, brush with the melted butter and sprinkle generously with sea salt. Bake for another 10-20* minutes or until crisp and golden on the exterior and soft of the inside. Remove from oven, sprinkle with chopped rosemary and serve.
* ~ Total baking time is approximate. It will depend on the size and density of your potatoes along with your oven. Total baking time is 55-65 minutes.