Italian-Style Baked Eggs with Fresh Herb Gremolata
An Italian-inspired breakfast/brunch dish. It's delicious, hearty and beautiful to behold!
Prep Time: 3 hrs 5 mins
Cook Time: 3 hrs 5 mins
- 2 strips thick cut smokey bacon
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 medium cloves garlic
- 2 14.5 ounce fire-roasted canned tomatoes puréed
- 1 teaspoon dry basil
- 2 teaspoons dry oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- fresh lemon zest
- 1 medium clove garlic finely minced
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Set a sheet pan on the middle rack.
- In a medium-size skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Keeping heat on medium, add onions to pan and cook 4-5 minutes until soft and translucent. Add garlic and cook one more minute.
- Add next 7 ingredients and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook for 12-15 minutes or until sauce is thick and chunky.
- Transfer hot sauce to 4 1-cup individual cast iron pans or shallow ramekins*. Make a well in the center of each, carefully break an egg into each well. Transfer to preheated sheet pan in oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or until egg whites are almost completely opaque (eggs will bake a bit more as they sit, don't over bake) and yolks are still soft in the center.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle each serving generously with the gremolata. Serve immediately.
Recipe Notes~ You can also use a larger ceramic or cast iron skillet and make it a one-dish meal. Pan or skillet should be fairly shallow and hold at least 5 cups.
~ To make ahead, prepare the sauce and refrigerate. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before serving and preheat oven as directed. Hea sauce till hot and bubbly, then transfer to baking dish(es) and proceed with baking as directed.