Before arriving in London two weeks ago I had read about this incredible deli/café called Ottolenghi. I shared a bit about it in this post the day after we arrived. My eyes just about bugged out of my head when we walked in and beheld a display of salads, quiches, breads and sweets like I’ve never seen in my life!
You can imagine how delighted I was when my daughter and son-in-law came home last weekend after an overnight date (I was forced to keep the three girlies – oh what fun we had!) with a cookbook for me – from none other than……………… yes, Ottolenghi!
I’ve been reading this lovely book as if it’s a novel and have already tried out several yummy recipes, one of them being these delicious, paper thin, shatteringly crisp Olive Oil Crackers with Sea Salt and Herbs. I topped them with a variety of different herbs and spices and we loved them all; fresh thyme, Herbes de Provence and za’atar. Each one was unique and delicious and would be fabulous as an appetizer with salsa or hummus, accompanying a salad and/or soup or just to nibble on for a delicious, light snack. Really, the sky’s the limit as far as herbs and spices you sprinkle atop these tasty crackers!
Although these type of crackers cost literally pennies to make (with the basic ingredients being just a bit of flour, water, olive oil and sea salt), they are almost always considered “gourmet” causing the price for a small pre-packaged parcel of these treats to be astronomical. So I was delighted to discover that I can now have these yummy crackers any time I’d like for almost nothing! You can too, as the only tools you really need to prepare them is a rolling pin and oven. Next time you have a craving for a crisp salty fabulous snack or want to impress your family/friends, give these Olive Crackers with Sea Salt and Herbs a try – you won’t be disappointed!
P.S. What a lovely hostess gift these crackers would make in a clear bag with a pretty ribbon!
I would gladly cook you dinner for a bag of these! 🙂
Oh, I’ll be winging my way back to the States today but check back tomorrow for a special guest blogger and an incredible Steak Chili recipe, just perfect for Fall – you don’t want to miss this one!
Olive Oil Crackers with Sea Salt and Herbs
Olive Crackers with Sea Salt and Herbs – a shatteringly crisp, super delicious cracker recipe from one of London’s most famous cafes.
- Category: Crackers, Appetizers
- 2 cups all purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup water
- 2 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- flaky salt (I use Maldon )
- fresh herbs, dried herbs, poppy seeds sesame seeds, dried spices, za’atar are some of the endless possibilities for toppings
- In a large bowl, or the bowl of a Kitchen Aid mix the flour baking powder, water, olive oil, salt and pepper. With the dough hook, mix (or mix by hand) the dough for 5-6 minutes until it comes together in a ball.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and leave it to rest for an hour at room temperature.
- Line 2-3 trays with baking parchment. Preheat the oven to 425˚F.
- Make walnut sized balls and roll them out as thinly as you can into long, oval shapes. Place the rolled out crackers on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, brush generously with olive oil and sprinkle with a bit of flaky sea salt (I love Maldon ), fresh herbs, dried herbs, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, za’atar, etc.
- Bake for 5-6 minutes, or until the crackers are golden brown in color. Allow to cool, then store in an airtight container.
It’s important to keep them tightly sealed but if it’s very humid and the crackers get a bit stale tasting, just pop them back in the oven for about 10 minutes at 225˚F and they’ll be good as new!