Pan-Seared Salmon with Orange-Coconut Sauce – This one is as delicious as it looks! The sweet and spicy sauce adds an amazing layer of flavor to the salmon. Did you know salmon is one of the easiest fish to cook?
Does cooking fish ever scare you? Honestly, for the longest time, I wouldn’t purchase fish, because I was scared to death I’d ruin it! I grew up in a small town in the Midwest. We were quite land-locked and didn’t have much access to seafood except a little “fish market” down on Main Street. I thought that shop had to be the stinkiest place in town and if my mom ever sent me there on an errand, I held my breath till I was just about blue and running out the door. Consequently, I learned to cook lots of things, but fish was just not in my culinary repertoire. Over the years, I’ve slowly become more proficient and it’s been fun widening my comfort zone in this area.
Salmon is an all-time favorite at our house and I experiment with lots of delicious ways to prepare it; grilled, cedar-planked, baked, broiled, steamed, sugar-seared, topped with fresh herbs, sun-dried tomatoes and pine nuts, wrapped in rice paper, curried, drizzled with lime-cilantro sauce ……….. and many more! I love them all, but I have to say this Pan-Seared Salmon with Orange-Coconut Sauce is definitely a top choice for me.
WANT TO SEE MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES FROM THE CAFÉ? SIGN UP FOR OUR EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION. THAT WAY, YOU’LL NEVER MISS A POST, OR ANY OF OUR “TIPS, TRICKS AND IDEAS” EMAILS, WHICH YOU WON’T FIND HERE ON THE BLOG.
WE’RE FOREVER PINNING RECIPES AND INSPIRATIONAL IDEAS ON PINTEREST – JUST CLICK TO FOLLOW US.
Pan-Seared Salmon with Orange-Coconut Sauce
Super simple and super delicious. Expect rave reviews!
- Yield: 4
- Category: Seafood
- Sweet & Spicy Orange-Coconut Sauce:
- ½ cup fresh orange juice, from one large juicy orange
- ½ cup mirin
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup orange marmalade
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce
- 2 tsp lemongrass, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 1 Tbsp red bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh chives
- Pan-Seared Salmon:
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 4 (6-oz) fillets salmon
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- For the sauce, combine first 9 ingredients in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a stead simmer and cook for 10 minutes or until sauce is reduced to a about ⅔ cup.
- Pour mixture through a fine mesh sieve. Push on solids with the back of a spoon to extract all of the delicious sauce. Rinse out pan and add sauce. Cover and set aside.
- For the salmon, sprinkle lightly with sea salt and generously with freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat a large non-stick sauté pan over medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until hot. Add oil to pan and swirl to coat. When you see the oil shimmer just a bit, carefully add salmon (skin side up if your fillets have skin) and cook for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Gently flip with a flat bladed spatula and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until salmon feels fairly firm to the touch. If it’s still a bit soft, remove from burner and cover for a few minutes to finish cooking. Don’t overcook or it will be dry.
- Transfer to serving plates. Heat sauce for a minute or until bubbly. Add red pepper, cilantro, and chives. Drizzle salmon with sauce and serve immediately.