These Peanut Butter and Jelly Blondies will be a hit with kids of all ages! And you can mix them up in less than 10 minutes, with just one bowl and no mixer!
I found this recipe for Peanut Butter and Jelly Blondies in a recent Bake from Scratch magazine. It looked like a fun idea and I thought they’d make a perfect all-American summer treat. But I had no idea how delicious this simple blondie recipe would turn out to be!
Soon after these blondies emerged from the oven, Scott and I tried a little sample. After the first bite and our eye’s got big as we looked at each other. “Wow!” said Scott as he cut a little bigger piece. “Amazing!” was my response.
Friends and family who have sampled these Peanut Butter and Jelly Blondies have had the same response. I sent a plate to my son and daughter-in-law and it wasn’t long before I got a text: “Those bars! Oh my!”
Although the recipe, straight from the magazine was delicious, I made 4 batches before I was satisfied with the peanut butter and jelly technique. Although the taste was fantastic with the first batch, the jelly sunk into the batter and didn’t look pretty like the picture in the magazine. I figured it out though and was super proud when the fourth batch came out with beautiful swirls of jam and creamy peanut butter.
I used my Easy Strawberry Freezer Jam for the “jelly” part of these blondies but I think other flavors would also be delicious.
If you’re purchasing jam for this recipe go with a good quality jam. I love the Bonne Maman brand.
I love everything about these delicious bars but the crunchy candy-like crust might just be my favorite part. Check out an up-close look! See what I mean?
A bakeshop quality treat you can put together in minutes?
Yes! By the time your oven is preheated, you’ll have these one-bowl, no-mixer beauties read to bake! They come together so fast with a super simple list of ingredients; butter, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, vanilla, egg and flour. And of course, the stars, peanut butter and jelly. Probably all items you have right in your pantry or refrigerator, right?
So don’t waste any time, make a batch of these Peanut Butter & Jelly Blondies asap! I have a feeling it will become one of those “keeper” recipes for you just like it is for me! Bon Appetit my friends!
Café Tips for making these Peanut Butter and Jelly Blondies
- You’ll want to use an 8-inch square pan for these blondies. A 9-inch pan will yield a pretty thin bar. You could also use an 8-inch round pan and cut the blondies in wedges instead of squares. It would make a wonderful dessert, served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
- You could use either jam or jelly for these blondies. Try different flavors for fun variations.
- I used regular creamy peanut butter (Skippy) for these bars. I think natural peanut butter may be too oily.
- When swirling the peanut butter and jelly for the topping, don’t swirl too deep. I found that it’s best to just swirl on the top surface. When I went deeper the peanut butter and jelly sunk in during the baking time and there were no swirls when I removed it from the oven.
- Be sure to grease the pan and line it with foil. This makes the bars super easy to remove when finished. If you make these in a round pan, grease the pan well and line it with parchment paper.
- Don’t overbake these PB&J Blondies. The finished product should be moist and chewy inside.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please come back and leave a star rating and review! It’s so helpful to other readers to hear other’s results and ideas for variations.
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup creamy peanut butter
- ⅓ cup jam or jelly use your favorite flavor
- With one oven rack set about halfway up, preheat oven to 350˚Spray an 8x8-inch baking pan with baking spray and line with foil so that two ends of the foil are extending over the edges of the pan. Spray foil lightly. Set aside.
- Combine butter and peanut butter in a medium-size microwave-safe bowl. Cook on high power for 45-60 seconds or until butter is just melted. Set aside to cool for a few minutes while you get the remaining ingredients out.
- Add brown sugar to melted butter mixture and stir to combine then add egg, vanilla, baking powder and salt and stir well.
- Sprinkle flour over the top and stir just until all flour is incorporated. (Don’t over mix.)Transfer mixture to prepared pan and spread to an even layer. The batter will be thick.
- In separate small microwave-safe bowls or cups, microwave 1/3 cup peanut butter and 1/3 cup jelly or jam for 10-15 seconds, just until warm. (You don’t want these to be liquid, just slightly warm so don’t microwave more than 15 seconds.)
- Drop the slightly warmed peanut butter and jelly in small spoonfuls across the top of the blondie batter. Leave some of the blondie batter showing. With the tip of a small knife, swirl the peanut butter and jelly together just a bit. Don’t swirl too much, you want some nice swirls but you don’t want a complete blending of the peanut butter and jelly. Also just swirl the peanut butter and jelly layer, don’t dip the knife down into the blondie batter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until the center is set (it will no longer jiggle when the pan is gently shaken).
- Allow to cool completely before removing from the pan (with the foil “handles”) and cutting. Enjoy!
See Café Tips above in post for more detailed instructions and tips.
Adapted from Bake from Scratch
The Café Sucre Farine is a participant in the Amazon Affiliate Program. The Amazon Affiliate Program is designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon. The price you pay as a consumer does not change, but if you make a purchase through one of our links, we receive a small commission – and we continue delivering delicious recipes to you!