One of my friends had a birthday last week and I wanted to make a special dinner to celebrate. When it came to the dessert, I wanted something that would sparkle and decided on an old, tried and true, never fail recipe that I’ve been making for many years; Peanut Butter-Ganache Tart with Shortbread Crust. I made it in small individual tart pans this time instead of a larger pan. It’s always a big hit, and most everyone who tries it wants to lick the plate clean!
Peanut Butter-Ganache Tart with Shortbread Crust
Most everyone who tries this wants to lick the plate clean. Some admit it, some don’t.
- Category: Dessert
- Ingredients for the crust:
- 10 ounces of shortbread cookies, crushed, I used Nabisco Lorna Doones but any type of shortbread cookie will do, graham crackers or digestive biscuits also work well.
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- Ingredients for the filling:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup chilled heavy cream, whipped
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- For the crust, spray a 9 inch tart pan with a removable bottom with cooking spray. Mix crushed cookies with butter and press mixture evenly into prepared pan. Bake at 350˚F for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- For the filling, using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and peanut butter until well blended. Add the 1 cup powdered sugar and butter and beat until fluffy. Fold in 1/2 of the whipped cream into the peanut butter mixture to lighten. Gently fold in remaining cream. Add vanilla and stir till combined. Spoon into crust. Refrigerate until firm, about 3 hours.
- Heat cream in microwave until very hot, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add chocolate and stir until smooth. Cool to lukewarm. Spread topping over pie. Refrigerate until firm, about 3 hours. Cut into wedges and serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream.
To make small individual tarts, use 8 small tart pans with removable bottoms – mine are 4 inches in diameter. Proceed with the directions as above, dividing the ingredients between the 8 pans.