We spent a fun, relaxed Fourth of July weekend with family at a lovely lake, not too far from home. We shared in the cooking responsibilities and I looked forward to see what my daughter-in-law, Lindsay would make on her evening for “dinner duty”. I knew it would be something wonderful as Lindsay always has a myriad of fabulous new recipes in her culinary arsenal.
She says that it’s Nick’s “love language” to come home from work to a fresh, delicious dinner. What she doesn’t know is that her cooking speaks volumes of delight to the entire family; this weekend we felt loved indeed when she served this fabulous Roasted Shrimp & Orzo for dinner. We’re sending a bit of the love your way today too. Here’s Lindsay…
Recently I went to visit my sister and we had the best time together. While I was there she made me this fabulous Roasted Shrimp and Orzo. I raved about it all through dinner and then went back for seconds.
It’s fresh, light and perfect for summer. The dill and lemon juice really make this dish! I came home, made it the next night and have prepared it many times since.
I love that it is totally make-ahead and can be served at room temperature. My sister served it with roasted asparagus and I usually do too, or it’s great with a green salad.
Roasted Shrimp with Orzo
This Roasted Shrimp with Orzo is a delicious make-ahead meal. It’s fresh, light and perfect anytime! The orzo pasta makes it a real comfort food!
- Yield: Serves 4, can easily be doubled.
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Italian
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- ½ pound orzo pasta
- ¼ cup lemon juice (1-2 lemons)
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ cup minced green onions
- ½ cup minced dill
- ½ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- ½ large hothouse cucumber, medium diced
- ¼ cup red onion small diced
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Fill a large pot with water, bring to a boil. Add orzo and cook according to the package, stirring occasionally. Strain pasta and pour into a large bowl. Whisk together lemon juice and ¼ cup of olive oil. Pour over the hot pasta and stir well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, place shrimp on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 5-6 minutes until the shrimp are cooked through, being careful not to overcook.
- Add the shrimp and the green onions, dill, parsley, cucumber and red onion to the orzo and stir well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add feta and stir carefully. Set aside at room temperature to let the flavors blend. Can be made ahead and placed in refrigerator. Allow to come to room temperature before serving.