We're posting this week from Samoëns, France where we're spending a week vacationing with our daughter, her husband and our three granddaughters. Samoëns is a tiny French village about an hour outside of Geneva, in the heart of the French Alps. We've been immersed in staggering beauty, as you'll see from the pictures, and have stayed busy from morning till night with all kinds of outdoor activities, exploring charming Samoëns and keeping up with our girlies...............
Roasted Tomato & Potato Soup w/ Herbes de Provence & Buttery Rosemary Croutons
Ingredients for the soup:
1 pound Compari tomatoes, halved
3 medium yellow potatoes, halved
4 medium carrots, sliced in half inch pieces
4 medium shallots, halved
2 medium onions, quartered
10-12 sprigs fresh thyme
1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons brown sugar
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
6 cups low sodium chicken broth (or vegetable stock to make it vegetarian)
3 med bay leaves
½ medium baguette, cut into approximately ¾ inch squares
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
Directions for the soup:
1. Preheat oven to 425˚F.
2. Toss all vegetables and the fresh thyme on a large baking sheet with the sea salt, brown sugar, Herbes de Provence and olive oil. Place in preheated oven and roast until vegetables are tender and begin to turn golden brown, stirring about every 5 minutes. If you notice the thyme beginning to get too brown before the veggies are finished, remove it. The veggies will take anywhere from 20-30 minutes, depending on your oven. Some of the veggies may char slightly; this is fine and part of the caramelization process.
3. In the meantime bring broth to a simmer in a large pot. Add bay leaves, cover and simmer gently while veggies are roasting.
4. When veggies have finished roasting, remove from oven and add to stock. Cover and gently simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
5. Remove bay leaves and puree soup with an immersion blender or with a regular blender until smooth and silky.
Directions for the croutons:
1. Place butter, olive oil, garlic powder and sea salt in a small baking pan. Place croutons in oven along with roasting veggies for 1 minute to melt the butter. Stir and add bread cubes, stirring to coat. Return to oven and bake for about 12-15 minutes or until golden brown, stirring every 4-5 minutes. Remove from oven, toss with the fresh rosemary and allow to cool.