MY OTHER RECIPES
My husband and I are actually on our way to the UK to visit my daughter and her family as this post is being published. I just got a little confused when I caught a glimpse of this beautiful French salad! I wish I could take credit for it, but the kudos go to my awesome daughter-in-law Lindsay. Lindsay is an amazing young wife and chef who has kindly offered to do a guest post while I am away. Stay tuned for a few other surprise guest bloggers, you are in for some treats!
Meet my sweet Lindsay!!
It was the first really nice weather we had had in days and we were enjoying a wonderful time soaking in the sun. We decided to go out for a real French lunch. Lyon is famous for their Salad Lyonnaise. There were little bistros everywhere, so we chose one downtown and ordered a local wine and the special “namesake” salad. This salad is basically a poached egg, bacon, (or lardons as they are called in France) tomatoes and croutons with a simple dressing – simple but delicious.
We have recreated this amazing salad several times since and each time we are instantly transported back to that day. I made this for dinner one night last week and knew I needed to share it. This dish has very few ingredients, so it’s easy to recreate.
A couple handfuls of frisee lettuce or curly endive torn into pieces
4 strips of bacon sliced thin
french bread, cubed
2 poached eggs (fresh eggs work best for poaching- I learned this after many failed attempts)
juice of one lemon
extra virgin olive oil
1/2 a teaspoon of dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook bacon over medium heat and drain on paper towels. Drizzle cubed bread with olive oil and toast in the oven (about 400 degrees) until lightly browned.
2. Mix the dressing using the lemon juice (or white wine vinegar), olive oil, mustard and salt and pepper.
3. Poach the eggs. Here are some helpful tips on poaching eggs.
4. Layer lettuce, bacon, croutons and tomatoes on a plate. Pour dressing over the salad and top with the egg.
5. Pretend you are at a French bistro and enjoy!!