Looking for a simple, fun, appetizer, snack, salad/soup topper or a sure-to-please gift? These delicious Sweet & Smokey Pistachios are the name of your game!
This deliciously sweet, salty, smokey treat was inspired by my friend Jean from Lemons & Anchovies; the minute I saw her Bourbon Maple Toasted Pistachios I knew some version of these would be on my to-do-for-sure list! You might want to double the recipe; they’re quite addictive and your family/friends will gobble them up right before your eyes (and, if you’re not looking, behind your back too!).
P.S. Be sure to stash away a small bag of these delightful nuts…. I’ll be sharing a fabulous salad on Saturday that you’ll definitely want to include in your holiday menus; Roasted Pear Salad w/ Dried Cranberries, Gorgonzola, Sweet & Smokey Pistachios & Champagne-Honey Vinaigrette – it’s a winner ……………… check it out!
Sweet and Smokey Roasted Pistachios
These Sweet and Smokey Roasted Pistachios are deliciously salty, sweet and smokey – all in one bite! But just try to eat one handful – no way!
- Category: Salad Toppings, Snacks
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Applewood Smoked Sea Salt*
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 ounces shelled, unsalted pistachios, you can find these already shelled at Trader Joe’s and many other larger markets.
- Applewood Smoked Sea Salt*, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 300˚F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray (or drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil and spread with a paper towel to coat).
- Combine oil, butter, honey, brown sugar, Applewood Smoked Sea Salt* and cinnamon in a medium size microwave-safe bowl. Add the pistachios and stir to coat. Microwave on high for one minute. (This will help dissolve brown sugar to coat the nuts better.) Turn nut mixture out onto prepared baking sheet.
- Roast for 10 minutes, stir and return to oven for approximately 5 more minutes or until golden and caramelized. Remove from oven, stir to separate and allow to cool on pan. Store in an airtight container after cooling.
*You can purchase Applewood Smoked Sea Salt online here (with free shipping) and at many specialty shops. It’s quite inexpensive and adds a wonderful, mysterious, smokey flavor to these nuts and fun flavor to grilled meats, veggies, even popcorn! You can also use regular sea salt (instead of the applewood salt) in this recipe and add 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika for a similar flavor.