The name pretty much says it all on this one – a double dose of citrus brightness; lemon juice and zest … a vibrant burst of fresh herb flavor from Italian parsley, basil and cilantro and for beautiful color and a touch of unique sweetness, tiny peas in addition to the traditional garbanzo beans or chick peas. Spice it all up with garlic, cumin, coriander and a splash of Sriracha and you’ve got a recipe for healthy deliciousness.
Take it for lunch, serve it for snacks, it makes a great appetizer and if you’re invited to or throwing a party, it’s the perfect crowd pleaser. I guess what I’m trying to say is “Try it, I think you’ll love it!”.
Sweet Pea Hummus with Lemon and Herb
- Category: Appetizer
- 2 15-ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained (reserve some of the liquid)
- 1 cup tiny frozen peas, unthawed
- 3-4 large garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup tahini (sesame seed paste, available at many larger groceries and at Middle Eastern markets)
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley leaves, packed
- ½ cup fresh basil, packed
- ¾ cup fresh cilantro, packed
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha (an Asian chili sauce that’s available at most larger markets nowadays and at all Asian markets)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Combine drained garbanzo beans, peas and garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Process for 2-3 minutes until coarse puree forms. Scrape down sides of bowl every minute or so.
- Add tahini, lemon juice and zest, salt, coriander and cumin and Sriracha. Process for 1 minute, then add fresh herbs. Process for 3 minutes or until mixture is very smooth. If too thick add a bit of the liquid from garbanzo beans and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer hummus to a medium size bowl or storage container. Add olive oil and stir well till well incorporated.
- Serve at room temperature with crackers and/or crudités. Drizzle with a bit of good olive oil and garnish with a lemon twist and freshly ground black pepper, if desired.