A quick (only 10 minutes prep time), easy and super delicious summer berry galette that’s perfect for entertaining, yet simple enough for a weeknight splurge.
It’s funny how some recipes come into being here at The Café. This 10 Minute Summer Berry Galette was something I threw together at the last minute, for unexpected guests, and it’s turned out to be one of our favorite desserts of the summer.
I don’t know about you, but I can’t resist all the beautiful berries in the market at this time of year. It seems like there’s almost always some combination of blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and strawberries in my refrigerator during the summer months. Not only are they wonderful for eating in handfuls right out of the fridge, on yogurt for breakfast, in fruit and green salads for lunch or dinner, but they also happen to be the basics for simple desserts like these Fresh Berries with Limoncello Syrup and this super delicious 10 Minute Summer Berry Galette.
Just keep a jar of jam, a package of refrigerated pie crust and an assortment of summer berries on hand and you’re just 10 minutes (hands on time) to a wonderful dessert that’s perfect for a family treat or easy entertaining. A scoop of vanilla ice cream is literally, the crème de la crème on this summer berry galette!
What’s a galette?
A galette is a rustic French, free-form pie or tart that can be either sweet or savory. I love having recipes in my arsenal that I can throw together quickly, but ones that are also beautiful, delicious and universally appealing. This summer fruit galette checks all the boxes. And even though a galette is one of the simplest of all desserts, I feel kind of fancy whenever I serve one – like I’m bringing a touch of France into my little North Carolina kitchen!
Are you wondering about the purchased pie crust? There was a time when I would have insisted on homemade, but you know what? My days seem to be getting busier instead of slowing down and I have a feeling you’re in the same boat. If I can make dessert easier, but still incredibly delicious, I’m all over it!
Honestly, purchased pie crusts have come a LONG way. I’ve had lots of taste testers over the past month with this summer berry galette – not one of them guessed that this flaky, tender crust was not homemade!
This is not a sponsored post, but I really like the Pillsbury brand. The crusts come in a package and can usually be found in the dairy section. They’re already rolled out into a circle, the perfect size for this summer berry galette!
One last thing, if you just throw some summer berries into a pie crust and hope for a galette, you’ll end up with a watery mess. I found, after a bit of testing that a scoop of jam combined with cornstarch and a bit of sugar is the perfect (and super easy) binder or thickener. I like to use strawberry or raspberry jam, but other varieties of jam, even marmalade, also work well.
Café Tips for making this Summer Berry Galette…
- This dessert can be made several hours in advance. I like to pop it back in a warm (not hot) oven while we eat dinner, then serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or frozen custard.
- If making ahead, allow to cool for 10 minutes, then transfer with a large, wide spatula to a cooling rack.
- Feel free to use different combinations of berries in this galette. Just make sure the total amount is around 2 1/2 cups.
- Any kind of jam or marmalade will work in this recipe. Use something that will blend well or enhance the flavor of the berries. But use the best quality jam you can find. Look on the label. All you want to see is fruit and sugar, not lots of weird sounding things. If I don’t have homemade jam, I really like Wilkin & Sons or Bonne Maman.
- After I transfer the berries to the crust, I like to rearrange the fruit a bit for a pretty presentation.
- If any of the berries on the surface look dry after the tart is baked, just brush them with a little more “loose” (warmed) jam.
- If you find your berries going bad before you can use them, here’s a great article with tips on storing and prolonging the freshness of berries.
- I’m in love with these parchment paper baking sheets, cut to fit the size of a sheet pan. They save so much time and a package lasts forever, even if you do tons of baking like I do.
Got 10 minutes? Then you’ve got time to bring a bit of fancy France into your kitchen too! This wonderful summer berry galette is so easy and so delicious, it’s bound to become a favorite! Bon Appétit!
What I used to make and serve this Summer Berry Galette
- ¾ cup strawberry or raspberry jam
- 4 teaspoons corn starch
- 1 tablespoon sugar plus more for sprinkling
- ¾ cup sliced strawberries
- ¾ cup blueberries
- ½ cup raspberries
- ½ cup blackberries
- 1 pre-packaged rolled pie crust (I use Pillsbury)
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper
- Place jam in a microwave-safe, medium-size bowl. Microwave on high power for 30 seconds to “loosen” jam. Add cornstarch and sugar. Stir to combine.
- Add fruit to jam mixture and stir gently to combine.
- Unroll pie crust and place on prepared sheet pan.
- Transfer fruit and jam mixture to center of pie crust. Spread out in an even layer to within 1 1/2 inches of edges. (see Café Tips above in post.)
- Bring edges of pie crust over fruit, pleating every couple of inches. Sprinkle edges of crust with 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. (see Café Tips above in post.) Serve warm or at room temperature with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or frozen custard, if desired.