This fresh, vibrant easy salsa is loaded with delicious South of the Border flavor and comes together in less than 10 minutes.
Scott and I are spending 10 days in Texas and we can’t seem to get enough of the fabulous Tex-Mex cuisine this area of the country is famous for. Along with other regional specialties, we’ve already tried lots of different salsas, each one unique and delicious in its own way. I thought a fun way to bring you along on our trip, would be to share a favorite salsa of ours, this Best Ever, Super Easy Salsa recipe. I’ve been making it for over 30 years and it never fails to bring rave reviews!
It might sound crazy, but sometimes I eat a bowl of this delicious, easy salsa for lunch as if it were soup. And don’t tell anyone, but every now and then, when no one’s looking, I even have a bowl for breakfast. Yes, it is salsa, but it’s so full of bright, fresh flavor that I find it quite irresistible. In my defense, it’s like a really great gazpacho.
Who knew that something so good could also be good for you?
Besides being addictively delicious, this easy salsa is low in fat and high in fiber, Vitamin C and antioxidants. There’s lots of lycopene-rich canned tomatoes, roasted red pepper, red onion, scallions and green chilies. A squeeze of fresh lime juice and a generous handful of cilantro complete the simple cast of characters.
Quick and easy
And the best part? This easy salsa comes together in less than ten minutes, from start to finish. It calls for canned tomatoes and green chilies along with a half cup or roasted red peppers (the kind that comes in a jar). Throw everything in the bowl of your food processor, give it a few pulses and voila, it’s ready for chips… or anything else you decide to serve it with.
Throw these basic ingredients in your shopping cart next time you’re at the market. Be sure to get plenty though, because once you serve this simple, easy salsa, I promise you’ll be getting requests for it again and again. And if it disappears way faster than it should, you just might have a “refrigerator-raider” who’s eating it as soup!
Café Tips for making this Best Ever, Super Easy Salsa
- This recipe makes a large batch but, don’t worry, it will go fast. Plus, it makes a wonderful gift for friends, neighbors, etc. Just jar it up and add a bag of chips. Who wouldn’t love a surprise like that?!
- Serve with chips, on baked potatoes, eggs, chicken, shrimp, fish, in omelets and paninis or with any Mexican entreé.
- If you find yourself with extra salsa, here’s are some great ideas from Serious Eats: 30 Things to do with Leftover Salsa.
- Don’t over-process this salsa. Just pulse on and off till you get a nice chunky consistency.
- Drain the tomatoes well, but don’t throw out the juice. When you’re finished with all the steps you can add more juice back in if you like a thinner consistency.
- This salsa will keep well for 5-7 days in the refrigerator. Store in an airtight container.
- I’ve found that even people who don’t care for cilantro, really enjoy this salsa. It seems that with so many other vibrantly flavored ingredients, the cilantro taste is not dominant.
If you enjoy Mexican food, you will LOVE this Mexican Chopped Salad. It’s one of the most popular recipes at The Café and it’s been pinned well over a million times, so you’ll be in good company!!
While we’re on a Mexican track, have you ever tried homemade flour tortillas? Back in 2013, I shared this recipe for The Best Ever Homemade Flour Tortillas. Much to my surprise, they went crazy on Pinterest and are highly ranked on Google. Several times a week, for the last 4 years, I’ve received emails about these flour tortillas. One of my favorites was from a Mexican cook who said:
Chris, Thank you!! This is honestly the first comment I have ever given in my 35 years, which might be sad/ungrateful, but this recipe is totally worth it. I have been looking for a decent tortilla recipe since my grandmother passed. I remember her rolling tortillas every morning, along with cooking eggs, beans, and chorizo. Most recipes, as you noted, are too hard or break apart or everything else. These tortillas are perfect, and Mexican approved!!! The size and consistency is exactly as it should be and I can’t imagine making them another way from now on.
This Best Ever, Super Easy Salsa post was first published in September, 2014. The post has been updated, tweaked and republished, as it’s one of those recipes too good to be lost in the dusty Café archives!
- 2 14 ounce cans fire-roasted canned tomatoes
- ½ cup jarred roasted red pepper drained
- 4 ounce can green chiles these are not spicy, just add great flavor
- ½ small red onion roughly chopped
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves and stems, packed
- 6 medium green spring onions, cut in two inch pieces
- 3 medium cloves garlic peeled
- 1-2 small jalapeño seeded (if you like a spicier flavor, leaves the seeds in)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Drain the tomatoes, reserving the juice.
- Combine all ingredients except reserved tomato juice in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse on and off until all ingredients are finely chopped and salsa is desired consistency. We like it a bit chunky, but if you like a smoother salsa, just keep pulsing. If you like a thinner salsa, add a small amount of the reserved tomato juice and pulse one more time.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed. Serve with chips, tacos or other Mexican entrees, as a baked potato or omelet topping, soup garnish, etc.
The Café Sucre Farine is a participant in the Amazon Affiliate Program. Affiliate programs are designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon. The price you pay as a consumer does not change, but if you make a purchase through one of our links, we receive a small commission – and we continue delivering delicious recipes to you!