This fresh, vibrant easy salsa is loaded with delicious South of the Border flavor and comes together in less than 10 minutes.
This might sound sort of silly, but sometimes I eat big bowlfuls of this delicious, easy salsa for lunch, as if it were soup. Oh, and don’t tell anyone, but sometimes, when no one’s looking, I even have a bowl for breakfast.
Why would I do something crazy like that, it’s salsa, for heaven sakes! Yes, it is salsa, but it’s so full of bright, fresh flavor that I find it quite irresistible when I open the fridge spot a jar of this vibrant red, cilantro-flecked, crazy-good stuff. In my defense, it’s like a really great gazpacho. And the recipe makes a huge batch, so’s there’s plenty for chip dipping, topping baked potatoes, filling omelets, serving over tacos and other Mexican entrees, garnishing soups, etc.
Besides being addictively delicious, this easy salsa is low in fat and high in fiber, Vitamin C and antioxidants. Theres lots of lycopene-rich canned tomatoes, roasted red pepper, red onion, scallions and green chilies. A squeeze of fresh lime juice and a generous handful of cilantro complete the simple cast of characters.
Wanna know the best part? This easy salsa comes together in less than ten minutes from start to finish. It calls for canned tomatoes and green chilies along with jarred, roasted red peppers. Throw everything in the bowl of your food processor (this one is AMAZING), give it a few pulses and voila, it’s ready for chips, or anything else you’d like to use it on!
Throw these basic ingredients in your shopping cart next time you’re at the market. Be sure to get plenty though, because once you serve this simple, easy salsa, I promise you’ll be getting requests for it again and again. And if it disappears way faster than it should, you just might have a silly little “refrigerator-raider” who’s eating it as soup!
P.S. Love Mexican food? This Mexican Chopped Salad is one of the most popular recipes at The Café – it’s been pinned well over a million times!!
AND WE’RE FOREVER PINNING RECIPES AND INSPIRATIONAL IDEAS ON PINTEREST – JUST CLICK TO FOLLOW US.Print
Best Ever, Super Easy Salsa
Loaded with delicious vibrant flavor, this easy salsa comes together in less than 10 minutes. It’s perfect to serve with chips, tacos or with other Mexican entrees, as a baked potato or omelet topping, soup garnish, etc.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 16 servings
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 2 14 ounce cans fire-roasted canned tomatoes
- ½ cup roasted red pepper (jarred), packed
- 1 4-ounce can green chiles (these are not spicy, just add great flavor)
- ½ small red onion, roughly chopped
- ½ cup fresh cilantro (leaves and stems), packed
- 6 medium green (spring) onions, cut in two inch pieces
- 3 medium cloves garlic, peeled
- 1-2 small jalapeño, seeded (if you like a spicier flavor, leaves the seeds in)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Drain the tomatoes, reserving the juice.
- Combine all ingredients except reserved tomato juice in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse on and off until all ingredients are finely chopped and salsa is desired consistency. We like it a bit chunky, but if you like a smoother salsa, just keep pulsing. If you like a thinner salsa, add a small amount of the reserved tomato juice and pulse one more time.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed. Serve with chips, tacos or other Mexican entrees, as a baked potato or omelet topping, soup garnish, etc.