There’s been plenty of hands, (both young and old) to stir, chop, mince, dice or whatever’s needed to be done. We tend to keep things fairly simple though, when we’re all together, because it’s become quite a houseful, with five young children and six adults. Definitely not the time to go fancy-schmancy. If you’ve got young children or grandchildren of your own, I know you get the picture.
And it’s funny how often, the simplest things are the best; like this wonderful appetizer we enjoyed as a prelude to our Christmas dinner. These Candied-Bacon Wrapped Pineapple skewers take only minutes to make and they disappeared before I could blink an eye. I know they’ll be a repeat for this family.
Everyone from the youngest to the oldest seemed to go crazy over them.
Oh, and there’s a wonderful Honey-Sriracha Sauce for dipping. It’s sweet, spicy and fresh; a perfect compliment and so simple to make, adding a delicious Asian dimension to this already fabulous appetizer. Throw a few simple ingredients in a jar, cover tightly, and …. with a few good shakes, the sauce is complete.
Whip up a batch of these Candied Bacon-Wrapped Pineapple appetizers. I have a feeling you’re family/friends will find them as irresistible as mine did. Just be sure to stash a few away for yourself – that way you can just smile graciously as they fly, like hotcakes, off the platter!
P.S. We’ve taken a short blogging break for the past week, the first in almost three years. It was great to be able to spend quality time with family here in England, but we’re ready to roll again and have all kinds of new recipes for 2014. Happy New Years to all of you from The Café!
Candied Bacon-Wrapped Pineapple with Honey-Sriracha Sauce
This is like candy, the most delicious, irresistible appetizer you’ll ever ever have the pleasure of meeting!
- Yield: 20
- Category: Appetizer
- Ingredients for the Candied Bacon Wrapped Pineapple
- 10 strips thick-cut applewood smoked bacon
- 20 chunks fresh pineapple*
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- Ingredients for the Honey-Sriracha Dipping Sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha**
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon finely sliced fresh cilantro stems***
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Line a sheet pan with foil.
- Cut bacon strips in half width-wise.3. Put brown sugar on a large (dinner-size) plate.4. Wrap each pineapple chunk with bacon.
- Roll each bacon wrapped pineapple in brown sugar to coat. Pat a bit more sugar, if needed, to completely coat.
- Place rolls, seam side down, on prepared pan. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until deep golden brown. Pieces near edges of pan may cook a bit faster. Check every few minutes towards the end of baking time and remove bacon rolls as needed.
- Place rolls on several thicknesses of paper toweling for just 1 minute, then transfer to serving platter.
- Serve on their own or with Honey-Sriracha Dipping Sauce.
- For the Honey-Sriracha Dipping Sauce, place all ingredients in a jar and shake till well-combined.
Can be made ahead. Refrigerate until ready to be used.
* Cut pineapple into rectangular chunks slightly smaller than the width of your bacon.
** Sriracha is a delicious hot sauce that’s available in the Asian section of most larger grocery stores.
*** Cilantro stems are the most flavorful part of the herb. Finely sliced cilantro stems are wonderful for fresh sauces, since they don’t wilt like the leaves do when combined with liquid ingredients.Makes 20 appetizers.