Sisters are the best! Most of you don’t know this, but I have three sisters. Sadly, we’re spread out all over the country, though we do love to get together whenever we have the opportunity. We have a zillion things in common and can spend hours together talking, laughing and reminiscing; but one of our favorite things to do together is ………. cook! Yup, we’re all quite crazy about cooking!
This past week, Scott and I had the opportunity to spend a few days with my sister Dana and her husband in Flagstafff, Arizona, as part of our visit to the west coast. Dana is a sweetheart – along with being a fabulous cook and wonderful hostess! She can entertain a crowd with ease and has a charm like no one you’ve ever seen. She makes it all look super simple and always has a ton of great ideas and wonderful recipes up her sleeve.
The second evening of our visit, Dana hosted a dinner party for some friends she wanted us to meet. She served ten at the table that night and all the food was prepared ahead. I loved how calm she was and decided it was a great example for me, as I’m often running around like a chicken with my head cut off before the guests arrive.
One of the delightful courses Dana served was this Chicken Tortilla Appetizer Soup. You can see from the pictures how pretty it was. Everyone went crazy over it and there were lots of oohs and aahs going around the table. When I found out how simple it was to prepare, I could hardly believe it. It’s actually ridiculously easy, with just four ingredients plus the toppings. It comes together in less than fifteen minutes and that includes shredding the rottiserie chicken and dicing the tomato and avocado for topping/garnish.
If you’ve got a dinner party coming up or just want to treat your family/friends to a delicious, fun and light soup, this is it! But you might want to keep it to yourself as far as how simple it is ………. unless you spill the beans, no one will ever guess, and they’ll think it was a long, slow process to achieve such great flavor!
Oh, and if you’re looking for something a bit heartier, we got you covered there too. Check out this delicious meal-in-a-bowl Chicken Tortilla Soup. Everyone who’s tried it, loves it – check out the comments at the bottom of the post for happy customers!
P.S. Check back tomorrow. Scott will be sharing photos of the second half of our road trip, along with some travel tips, including how we found and stayed at really nice hotels for really great prices during this trip.Print
Chicken Tortilla Appetizer Soup
A super simple soup, great as an appetizer or light lunch. It’s loaded with south-of-the-border flavor.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 8-10 as an appetizer soup
- Category: Soup, Appetizer
- Cuisine: Mexican, International
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 12-ounce jar mild Pace picante sauce
- 1 envelope taco seasoning, Dana uses McCormick
- 2 cups shredded chicken breast, rotisserie chicken works great
- 1 ½ cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 large, ripe avocado, chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup Cojita or Queso Fresco cheese
- tortilla chips
- lime wedges
- Combine chicken broth, picante sauce and taco seasoning in a medium-size pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and stir to combine.
- Serve in small pretty bowls topped with fresh chopped tomato, avocado, cheese and cilantro. Garnish with fresh lime wedges and serve with tortilla chips.