You’ll love our Farmer’s Market Salad with Sunny Honey Vinaigrette. It’s a fresh, vibrant salad that pairs so well with lots of entrees.
We’re on vacation and this Farmer’s Market Salad with Sunny Honey Vinaigrette came about after a fun visit to one of the local farmer’s market. The whole family is together at one of our favorite places on earth, the beautiful beach community of Debordieu Colony near Georgetown, South Carolina.
It’s become annual family tradition that we look forward to all year; spending a week together enjoying sun, sand, fun, food, but most of all, each other – with lots of talking and laughing. With four thousand miles between us for much of the year, we treasure these days of no deadlines, no schedules and no stress.
We do have to laugh a bit, recalling our first vacation here at Debordieu Colony. It was seven years ago and we had one tiny (newborn) granddaughter. We thought the addition of the new baby made things quite busy and fun. Little did we know that seven years later we’d have; well sometimes pictures just speak better than words!
Yes, it’s been FIVE kiddos in seven years, soooo things are not exactly what you’d call quiet (and/or serene) here at the “Beach” Café. Now there are tons of shenanigans and a way more than a barrel of laughs going on continuously, and we love every minute of it. The menus for the week are kept simple, though fresh, healthy and delicious at the same time.
I served the salad again last night for dinner, using some of our market bounty. Everyone loved it along side grilled pork chops and Smashed Potatoes w/ Herbed Gremolata (recipe to come).
The adults dined on the upper deck after the little ones were all tucked away in their little beddy-byes.The sun was casting its’ last glorious, golden-hued rays, and with a pinky-rose aurora still on the horizon, the stars began to appear one by one for their stunning dance across the wide expanse of coastal South Carolina sky.
You’ll love the Farmer’s Market Salad with Sunny Honey Vinaigrette that goes with the salad; just five simple ingredients thrown together in a glass jar. Cover and shake for a delightfully fresh and delicious dressing, infinitely better than anything you’d buy in a bottle.
P.S. Oh, and if you’re looking for a quick, easy super fabulous dessert, I’ve got just the thing for you! As we stared at the brilliant celestial performance, we enjoyed our favorite cake of all time, Chocolate Obsession Cake which can be made to look quite fancy as it is here. It can also be thrown together in less than fifteen minutes and baked in a sheet pan, hence the true name, Texas Sheet Cake.
- Ingredients for the salad:
- 2 medium heads of hearts of romaine thinly sliced
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro substitute basil, if desired
- 1 small bunch green spring onions
- 1 medium mango peeled, cored and diced
- 2-3 ears corn kernels removed
- ½ medium avocado peeled, cored and diced
- ½ medium English seedless cucumbers, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 medium bell pepper core, stem and seeds removed and cut into bite size strips, I like to use a few different colored peppers, enough to equal 1 whole pepper
- Ingredients for the vinaigrette:
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- generous grind of freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Combine all vinaigrette ingredients in a glass jar. Shake well.
- Combine all salad ingredients in a large serving bowl.
- Add ¼ cup of vinaigrette, toss to coat. Add more dressing if desired and/or pass extra dressing at the table.