A fresh summer salad full of avocados, tomatoes, and oranges dressed with a classic French vinaigrette.
There’s an old saying – “Promises are like babies: easy to make, hard to deliver”. Well, not THAT hard, …:) but I did make a promise to share this recipe last week that we enjoyed so much at The Inn at Little Pond Farm. Though a bit late, due to unforeseen circumstances, I’m so happy to share Gaye’s wonderful recipe today. I think you’ll love having this delightful salad in your collection as much as I do! Thanks, Gaye!
This recipe is very adaptable. I served mine with a tiny basil and mint leaves for garnish and fabulous fresh flavor. Gaye served the salad over Romaine lettuce – check out her version here. Her avocado was not ripe so she left it out, but the salad was still fabulous!
You could add fresh sliced cucumbers or roasted beets. Substitute peaches or nectarines for the oranges if desired. No fresh herbs? Shower with a generous sprinkle of Herbs de Provence. Add grilled chicken or shrimp for a main dish salad… Sounds to me like another LBD recipe!
The dressing for this salad is a very simple, classic French vinaigrette. In France, they almost never ask you what type of dressing you’d like on your salad. It will come with a delicious dressing, similar to this one, using high-quality vinegar and olive oil. So when you enjoy this yummy salad, close your eyes and pretend you’re in a lovely outdoor bistro in Provence, looking out at the Mediterranean! Bon Appetit!
- 2 large avocados Haas, if they're available in your part of the world
- 2 medium navel oranges peeled, white pith removed and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 cups yellow and red cherry tomatoes halved
- juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- tiny fresh basil or larger leaves, thinly sliced
- tiny fresh mint leaves or larger leaves, thinly sliced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the avocados in half. Gently twist to separate the halves. Remove the pit. Cut in quarters and remove the peel. Slice into 1/4 inch slices. Squeeze the lemon juice over the avocado slices.
- Combine the olive oil, mustard, white balsamic and a generous pinch of sea salt in a glass jar with a tightly fitting lid. Shake well.
- Arrange avocado, oranges, tomatoes and red onion on a large platter or individual salad plates. Drizzle with the dressing. Shower with fresh herbs and a few generous grinds of black pepper.