It’s a sad, Mother Hubbard-sad, type of day ………. when the almond jar is empty and when a peek in the freezer reveals there aren’t any more of these sweet-salty-crunchy Honey and Sea Salt Roasted Almonds left.
We love them for snacks (WARNING! – extremely addictive!), sprinkled on ice cream sundaes, in salads and on oatmeal. But our favorite way to enjoy them is scattered on top of our morning Greek yogurt and fresh fruit, a simple and delicious alternative to granola.
Oh, they make a nice appetizer too. Either on their own or like this: place a block of cream cheese on a pretty plate. Take a couple spoonfuls of your favorite jam (this is mine right now) and add a splash of Sriracha sauce. Spoon the spicy jam over the cream cheese and sprinkle with these Honey and Sea Salt Roasted Almonds. Garnish with a bit of finely chopped basil or parsley and serve with crackers, for a beautiful (you don’t have to tell anyone it’s spur-of-the-moment) before dinner treat.
I love that they can be made in less than 30 minutes and can be stored for a month or more in the freezer. Somehow, they never seem to last that long though.
After cooling, store these delicious nuts in an airtight container for a few days, or in the freezer for several weeks.
Once you try them, I have a feeling it will be a sad, Mother Hubbard-type of day for you too when the almond jar is empty and a peek in the freezer reveals that there aren’t any more of these wonderful Honey Sea Salt Roasted Almonds.
P.S. These almonds make wonderful gifts too. Fill fun little jars (I love these Weck jars) or little bags tied with a pretty ribbon, and you’ll be very popular with family, friends, neighbors, teachers …
- 4 cups sliced almonds I use raw, natural almonds
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon flaky sea salt* I love Maldon
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line a sheet pan with foil or parchment paper for easy clean up. Add almonds to prepared pan.
- Combine coconut oil and honey in a small microwave-safe bowl. Place in microwave and cook on high power for 30 seconds. Drizzle mixture over almonds and stir gently to coat.
- Place in oven and roast for 22-25 minutes or until golden brown, stirring gently to redistribute every 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with a bit more sea salt (to taste) and stir gently. Allow to cool completely on pan. Store in an airtight container for 2-3 days or in the freezer for 4-5 weeks.
*When you use flaky sea salt in a recipe like this, rub it between your fingers as you add it, breaking up the large flakes as you sprinkle it.
If you have a Costco near you, they sell large bags of slice almonds for a very reasonable price. Trader Jo's also always has a great buy on sliced almonds.