This has been a favorite Café recipe for years, and though I shared it in the early days of the blog (with these Cider Poached Apples w/ Cinnamon Pastry Stems), it’s difficult, if not impossible to find in the deep, dark recesses of The Café archives.
I felt like the delicious, unadulterated sauce needed a page of it’s own, so here it is! Once you make it, I think you’ll agree; it’s so much better than anything you can purchase.
And guess what? I’m quite certain you already have all the ingredients needed to prepare it. If you have 10 minutes to spare, (less time than it takes to run to the market) you can have your own jar, cruet, bottle of this fabulous Ridiculously Easy Caramel Sauce. And you’ll NEVER use that grocery store stuff again.
P.S. Did you notice the yummy dessert in the photos? You’ll want to make a batch of Ridiculously Easy Caramel Sauce over the weekend. That way you’ll be all set for the World’s Easiest Apple Crumble, Monday’s post. You don’t want to miss this one!
Ridiculously Easy Caramel Sauce
A super simple, super quick way to make absolutely delicious caramel sauce and only pay a fraction of the cost of the store-bought variety.
- Yield: makes about 1 cup of sauce.
- Category: Sauce
- Cuisine: Dessert topping
- 1 stick butter, 4 ounces
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar (you can use light brown sugar too, but the sauce will be a bit lighter in color)
- ½ cup whipping or heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or vanilla bean paste
- a pinch of sea salt
- Melt butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add brown sugar and whisk vigorously to combine.
- Add cream. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add vanilla and a pinch of sea salt. Stir until combined. Serve warm or allow to cool. Stir vigorously, then store in refrigerator. Mixture will thicken as it cools. After refrigeration, warm slightly in the microwave or on the stovetop.