This salad is easy enough for a weeknight dinner but elegant enough for your fanciest company – and it always brings rave reviews!
Happy Monday! Just popping in today with a wonderful Roasted Shrimp, Tomato and White Bean Salad to start your week on a delicious, healthy note…
The salad features a fabulous Whole Lemon and Thyme Dressing that we shared on Saturday.
The dressing is bright, fresh and sunny with tiny bits of lemon in every bite.
I love a salad that I can throw together in a hurry on a busy day. This Roasted Shrimp, Tomato and White Bean Salad is perfect for a quick easy meal if you plan ahead just a bit.
The dressing can be made several days in advance and if, you’re using frozen shrimp, make sure they’re thawed by dinner time. The salad itself will come together quickly as the shrimp take only 8 minute in a hot oven. I prefer roasting shrimp for salads in lieu of the more traditional boiling method, as the flavor is enhanced rather than lost in the water.
Once the dressing’s made and the shrimp are roasted, all that’s left is cutting up a few tomatoes and an avocado and arranging everything on a platter or on dinner plates.
I used maché lettuce (also called lamb’s lettuce). Maché is a beautiful, mild flavored and tender green. Here in the States, maché is mainly available in the spring but in both England and France it’s easily obtainable all year long. Whenever I see (at Whole Foods, Trader Joes and sometimes at my local Kroger store) I snatch it up. If you can’t find maché, arugula or baby spinach would work well in this salad.
This Roasted Shrimp, Tomato and White Bean Salad would be perfect for a early spring brunch or a casual dinner party. Pop a crusty baguette in the oven while your shrimp are roasting and, in no time, you’ll have a healthy, delicious meal on the table that everyone will love. Bon Appetit!!
- 1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp tails off
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups arugula spinach or mache
- 4 medium plum or Roma tomatoes cut in bite-sized wedges
- 1 large avocado halved, peeled and pitted
- 1 15 ounce can white beans rinsed and drained
- Whole Lemon and Thyme Dressing
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Line a sheet pan with foil for easy clean up.
- Place shrimp on prepared pan. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Flip to opposite side and season with salt and pepper. Spread on pan so shrimp can easily curl while roasting.
- Roast for 8 minutes or until shrimp are slightly curled and opaque. Don't over cook or they'll be tough. Transfer shrimp to a plate. Shrimp can be made ahead and served warm or cold on salad.
- Place pine nuts in a small pan. Drizzle with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil and a small pinch of salt. Stir to coat. Place in oven for 2-3 minutes or until beginning to turn golden. Set a timer, pine nuts are too expensive to burn (been there, done that!).
- For the salad, arrange lettuce, shrimp, tomatoes, avocados and white beans on 4 dinner size plates or bowls. Drizzle with a bit of dressing and scatter with pine nuts. Garnish with freshly ground black pepper, if desired. Serve extra dressing at the table.