Add a little delicious sunshine to your life with this bright, fresh Whole Lemon Thyme Salad Dressing. There are tons of other ways to use it too!
Anyone out there in need of a little culinary pizzazz? I can assure you that this vibrant Whole Lemon Thyme Salad Dressing will add lots of bright freshness to your daily menus! It’s not only wonderful on salads but there are lots of other delicious ways to use it too.
A small article in Bon Appetit magazine titled “A Sunny Dressing” caught my eye a while back. The recipe was intriguing as it called for using the whole lemon – yes, peel, pith and fruit! Being a lover of anything lemon, I couldn’t wait to try this unique dressing.
I added lots of fresh thyme to the recipe and decided to call it Whole Lemon Thyme Salad Dressing. It comes together quickly and Bon Appetite’s description was accurate – it looks like a pretty jar of sunshine! And the first little taste confirmed things; wow, such vibrant, delicious flavor! I love how it has little chunks of lemon in every bite!
Lots of ways to use this Whole Lemon Thyme Salad Dressing
Since then I’ve realized that perhaps Whole Lemon Thyme Salad Dressing might not be the best name, as it’s so much more than just a salad dressing. Honestly, the sky’s the limit as far as ways to use it. Here are a few I’ve already discovered.
- It’s wonderful drizzled on grilled or roasted meats.
- It brings a delicious freshness to roasted veggies.
- I’ve served it as a dipping sauce to go with roasted shrimp.
- Add a spoonful to a bowl of cooked quinoa – stir it all together and the humble grain will be taken to a whole new level of deliciousness.
- The same thing is true with other grains like farro, barley and rice.
- Another idea! Place a big scoop of mayo in a bowl and add a generous spoonful of this Lemon Thyme Salad Dressing and whisk it all together for a fabulous lemon aioli. It’s wonderful to spread on sandwiches and wraps, etc.
- The aioli above also makes a delicious dipping sauce for raw veggies.
- Check out this Roasted Shrimp, Tomato and White Bean Salad with… yup, you guessed it! Lemon Thyme Salad Dressing!
See what I mean? I have a feeling, once you try this wonderful condiment, you will find lots of ways to bring sunny delightfulness into your kitchen too.
Café Tips for making this Lemon Thyme Salad Dressing
- Since the whole lemon is used for this dressing, use an organic lemon that hasn’t been subject to chemicals and insecticides. If organic lemons aren’t available, be sure to wash the lemon well before using.
- Use the sharpest knife you have to slice the lemons nice and thin. If you’re in the market for new knives, I love these Global knives. I’ve had mine for years and it doesn’t take much to bring them back to razor sharp.
Add a little delicious sunshine to your life with this bright, fresh Lemon Thyme Salad Dressing.
- 1 small lemon* washed well and dried
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 medium cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, roughly chopped
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Cut both ends off of lemon and discard. Thinly slice lemon, discarding seeds as you go. Finely chop lemon slices and place in a small jar with a tight fitting lid.
Add all other ingredients and shake well. That's it, enjoy!
Adapted from Bon Apetit
*If you can find organic lemons, I would recommend them, since you're using the entire lemon.
The Café Sucre Farine is a participant in the Amazon Affiliate Program. The Amazon Affiliate Program is designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon. The price you pay as a consumer does not change, but if you make a purchase through one of our links, we receive a small commission – and we continue delivering delicious recipes to you!