Shaved asparagus and sweet corn pair perfectly in this fresh salad. The bright lemon dressing ties it all together.
I found both recently on my weekly trip to Aldi and was both thrilled and inspired. I decided to shave the asparagus which is a delicious way to enjoy raw asparagus. Fresh corn adds a lovely crunch and does not need to be cooked when used in a salad like this, so it was fun and easy to put together.
It does take a bit of time to shave the asparagus but this can be done ahead and kept, refrigerated, in a bowl of ice water for 6-8 hours, making this a perfect dish to make ahead for guests.
I added dried cranberries for a bit of delicious sweetness and thin ribbons of red onions for a burst of zesty flavor.
Oh, and be sure to check back Monday for one more amazing way to use this salad; my Pesto & Prosciutto Pizza w/ Fresh Mozzarella & Shaved Asparagus Salad. You’re going to LOVE this one!
P.S. I use a vegetable peeler to shave my asparagus. Here is a great tutorial on this simple method.
- Ingredients for the salad
- 1 bunch asparagus shaved into thin ribbons with a sharp vegetable peeler*
- 3 cobs fresh corn corn removed from husks**
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ small red onion very thinly sliced with a sharp knife
- Ingredients for the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons neutral flavored oil ie canola or sunflower
- 1 teaspoon honey
- sea salt a pinch
- freshly ground black pepper
- For the dressing, combine oil, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper in a small bowl, mix well with a fork or small whisk.
- Combine shaved asparagus and thinly sliced red onion in a medium size bowl filled with ice water. Allow to sit for at least 10 minutes or up to 8 hours (refrigerated). When ready to serve, drain well and spread out on a clean kitchen towel to dry.
- Combine asparagus/onion mixture with corn and dried cranberries and cilantro leaves. Add dressing to coat and toss well to combine.
- Salad can be made 2-3 hours ahead or served immediately. Since there's no lettuce involved to wilt, it's delicious the next day as the flavors will have melded. The asparagus won't be as curled (from the stint in ice water) and pretty, but it still looks fresh and tastes fabulous!
~ *Asparagus is easy to shave with a sharp vegetable peeler. If your peeler is old or dull, don't even try it. Here's a great tutorial with helpful tips on shaving asparagus.
~ ** You might be wondering if I forgot to tell you how to cook the corn. When corn is tender and fresh, it doesn't need any cooking when used in recipes like salads and salsas. It adds a delightful sweet crunch and is full of flavor.