These Strawberry Glazed Butter Thins are crisp, buttery, melt-in-your-mouth cookies. The pop of delightful strawberry glaze icing takes them way over the top.
The past week’s been a barrel of laughs and fun here at The Café our daughter and her husband, along with their three daughters and baby Luke arrived from their home in London seven days ago. We’ve enjoyed the time together immensely and the children have kept us entertained day and night. Making these Strawberry Glazed Butter Thins was part of the fun!
The girls, Annie, Elle and Lilly all love to concoct sweet treats with Grammy in the kitchen. They didn’t hesitate for a moment when I asked them earlier in the week if they’d like to help me make Strawberry Glazed Butter Thins. I had seen the recipe in Bon Appetit a while back and was anxious to try it; with a summery adaptation.
The original recipe was for Mint-Glazed Butter Thins. I decided to change things up a bit and use a strawberry glaze in lieu of the mint. I had a little stash of freeze-dried strawberries that I’d purchased recently at Trader Joe’s. They worked quite nicely for these Strawberry Glazed Butter Thins, giving lots of color and vibrant flavor to the glaze without too much added moisture.
The cookie recipe is super simple to put together with just a few ingredients. The girls had fun mixing up the dough (and of course, licking the beaters). We rolled little balls of dough in powdered sugar and squished the dough balls with a flat bottomed glass.
After the cookies were baked and cooled came the fun part. I put the delicious strawberry glaze in a plastic bottle and let the girls squeeze a dollop of icing in the center of each cookie, then spread it to the edges with the back of a spoon. As you can see in the photos, they were very serious about their responsibilities!
Everyone in the family LOVED these crisp, buttery, melt-in-your-mouth cookies. The pop of delightful strawberry flavor drew lots of “wows” and compliments.
If you’re looking for a really delicious sweet treat loaded with a burst of summery strawberry flavor, whip up a batch of these Strawberry Glazed Butter Thins.
Oh, and if you have one or more little sou chefs in your house, they will have a wonderful time assisting you. They’ll be thrilled to be taste-testers and determiners of “blog worthiness”. My little helpers gave their whole hearted stamp (or better said, “spatula”) of approval!
- Ingredients for the cookies:
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter room temperature
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Ingredients for the strawberry glaze:
- 2 cups powdered sugar divided
- ½ cup freeze dried strawberries*
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup milk
- Position racks in top and bottom third of oven; preheat to 350°F. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment. Using electric mixer, beat first 5 ingredients until fluffy. Beat in flour.
- Place 1 cup powdered sugar in bowl. Working with 1 level tablespoon at a time, shape dough into balls; roll in powdered sugar to coat. Place on sheet. Press each lightly with flat-bottomed cup. Sprinkle each with more powdered sugar, then press again to thin 3 1/4-inch round. Bake cookies 8 minutes. Reverse sheets; bake until golden at edges, about 9 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, combine powdered sugar and freeze dried strawberries in the bowl of a food processor. Process for a minute or two or until strawberries are powderized. Pour mixture into a medium size bowl. Add milk and stir until smooth, adding more milk by 1/2 teaspoonfuls if glaze is too thick to spread. If too thin, add a bit more powdered sugar.
- Place about teaspoon of icing in the center of a cookie. Spread glaze over cookies to the edges with the back of a spoon. Place on cooling rack to dry for at least one hour.
*~ If you can't find freeze-dried strawberries just finely mash fresh strawberries to equal 1/4 cup. Add mashed strawberries instead of the milk and adjust with a bit of milk or extra powdered sugar to achieve a thick but pourable consistency.