Ever been to a Princess Party? We had one yesterday and these Swirly-Girly Cupcakes were the stars of the show…. other than the the princess of course! ………………
……………. I shared on Wednesday that we were headed to visit our daughter and her family in London in order to help with the arrival of a new baby – our first grandSON! We were hoping this little man would hold off just a wee bit longer as we had a little partying to do before his grand entrance into the world. Our middle granddaughter, Elle, was turning five yesterday and we had planned a family celebration.
A few weeks ago, Mommy (Mum) had bought Elle a beautiful white princess gown, The absolute perfect attire for such a festive occasion!
Arriving in London, however, we had a few doubts whether this baby would wait even one more day …………………. As we prepared for the party we were wondering ……….
……. and I bet you’d be wondering too! …………… as you can see, it appeared that this new baby was quite imminent. Well, we all breathed a sigh of relief,……………. a “mission-accomplished”sigh of relief when we concluded Elle’s party.
We decided to keep things simple and order pizza for dinner, so I wanted something special and pretty for the birthday dessert. These Swirly-Girly White Chocolate Cupcakes are moist, delicious and easy to throw together. Honestly though, if you’re pinched for time, just use a white cake mix. ………… it’s okay because the really fun and delicious part is the icing. It will make even a cake mix cupcake taste like it came from a fine bakery! I tried a new technique and it turned out so fancy and festive looking – I’m sure I’ll be using it for many special occasions in the future.
Though it looks a bit involved, the technique is really fairly simple. (But we’ll keep that our little secret, deal?). I used three different colors, but I think two would work just as well.
Do you know any princes or princesses? No? Well, I believe any family member or dear friend is worthy of a royal celebration! So, check out the technique/recipe below and give it a go ………….. it’s a “keeper”, for sure!
White Chocolate Cupcakes
1 & 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/3 cup of butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
4 ounces of good quality white chocolate chips or a 4-ounce white chocolate bar
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 cup plus1 tablespoon milk
1. Preheat oven to 325˚F.
2. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners of your choice. (I like to use two contrasting patterns, I add the second one after baking. Also, if you can find the greaseproof liners, they work wonderful. They look just as pretty after baking as before.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
4. In another large bowl (or with a stand mixer), cream the butter and sugar together on medium-high speed until light & fluffy (2 to 3 minutes).
5. Add the eggs in one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the melted white chocolate and vanilla – mix well.
6. Add the dry ingredients alternating with the milk in 2 to 3 portions. Mix well after each addition. Divide batter evenly into prepared cupcake pan.
7. Bake cupcakes until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean or with dry crumbs (about 22 minutes). Let cool completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Buttercream Icing
2 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 vanilla bean, halved and seeds scraped or 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
6 cups powdered sugar
1. Beat cream cheese and butter on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
2. Add 4 tablespoons of milk and and vanilla bean seeds (or vanilla bean paste or vanilla) beat again for 2 minutes.
Instructions for the Swirly-Girly technique:
1. Prepare icing as directed and divide into two or three bowls, depending on how many colors you want in your swirls. Add food coloring to achieve desired colors. I really like the gel food coloring, it gives much deeper, richer colors and comes in a wide variety of beautiful hues.