Festive, fun, fresh, fast, fabulous …………….. you’ll be falling in love with this one, and so will everyone who has the pleasure of dining at your fine table. Don’t hesitate, just make it!
Oh, and if the pomegranates are a stumbling block, I’ve got you covered – it really couldn’t be simpler. Check out this post for the easiest way EVER to coax the delicious seeds from this lovely fruit. The best part of all is that pomegranates are very inexpensive right now. I bought them for a measly $.79 (now $ .59!) at Aldi Foods, but other markets are running great specials right now too. So there! No more excuses, just make it!
……………. Did I say that you’ll be falling in love with this one?
- 8 cups butter lettuce and arugula or your favorite greens
- 1 medium avocado pit and peel removed and thinly sliced
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds see tutorial on How to Deseed a Pomegranate in less than a Minute!!
- ½ cup sweet 'n spicy pecans see recipe
- For the vinaigrette:
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup white balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon very finely minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- For the salad - Place greens in a large bowl. Add avocado, about 1/4 cup of the dressing and toss gently. Sprinkle with pomegranates and candied pecans. Sprinkle salad lightly with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Pass extra dressing at the table.
- For the vinaigrette - Combine all ingredients in a glass jar and shake well to combine.
- 2 cups raw pecan halves
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- vegetable spray for greasing pan
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line a sheet pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- In a microwave-safe medium-size bowl combine butter, sugar, honey, water and spices. Heat on high for 30 seconds. Remove and stir. Heat for another 30 seconds and stir well. Add pecans and stir to coat. Don't worry if the mixture seems a bit thick. It will thin out and coat the pecans in the oven
- Turn pecans out onto prepared sheet pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, until deep golden brown. Remove from oven, stir to separate and cool on pan.
- On a work surface, lay another sheet of aluminum foil and lightly grease it. Carefully move the pecans from the cookie sheet onto the foil. Sprinkle with salt. Separate the pecans and allow them to cool. (Can be made one week ahead. Seal in an airtight container)
You won't use all of these for the salad, but they're great for snacking and wonderful to give as gifts in a pretty bag tied with a ribbon.