These delicious banana crumb muffins have a buttery cinnamon crumb topping and a delightful cream cheese surprise in the center.
Banana bread was always just “so-so” to me. It was a way to use up bananas that were on their way out, but it wasn’t something I got very excited about… until I was introduced to this Banana Crumb Muffins recipe a number of years ago.
Banana Crumb Muffins is one of the most well loved and highest rated recipes EVER published by Allrecipes and once you make them you’ll understand why. I adapted this recipe just a bit by adding pecans and oatmeal to the crumb topping which adds the delicious flavor of the pecans and a nice crunch. They’ve always been a big hit at our house, but just recently I experimented with another new twist which makes them super delicious!
I got the idea from my daughter-in-law Lindsay a few months ago while we were visiting them. We woke up one morning to a wonderful aroma and when we arrived at the breakfast table, she was just pulling a pan of delicious muffins out of the oven. The muffins had a ribbon of sweet cream cheese in the center which made them quite extraordinary.
Her muffins spurred my culinary imagination and I decided to combine the tried and true Banana Crumb Muffin recipe with this cream cheese addition. They have gotten rave reviews from friends. My sweet little granddaughters who were my “sou chefs” today were asking for seconds.
Give these muffins a try. I think they will become a family favorite for you too!
P.S. These Banana Crumb Muffins can do double-duty as a scrumptious dessert! Just warm them for 15-20 seconds in the microwave and place each one on a plate or in a pretty serving bowl. Add some sliced fresh bananas, drizzle with caramel sauce and top with whipped cream or ice cream. Fabuloso! I like to keep some of these in my freezer for what I call “dessert emergencies” 🙂
Delicious banana muffins with a buttery cinnamon crumb topping and a delightful cream cheese surprise in the center.
- For the muffins
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 bananas mashed
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- ⅓ cup butter melted
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- For the topping
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease 12 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers.
- In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon one half of the batter into prepared muffin cups.
- Combine the cream cheese, sugar, flour, egg and vanilla and mix well. Pour a tablespoonful onto the batter in the muffin cups. Top the cream cheese with the remaining muffin batter.
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 4 tablespoons flour, oatmeal, cinnamon and butter with a fork until mixture forms coarse crumbs. Sprinkle topping over muffins. I like to use a small ice cream scoop to pile the crumbs on top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean. (When I remove muffins from the oven, if the muffin is spilling over the top of the pan, I take a table knife and gently but quickly push the muffin tops back into the pan on all sides - this makes for a nice rounded top and prettier, more uniform appearance.)
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com