This Strawberry Spinach Salad is pretty as a picture. The Basil Dressing and Sweet, Spicy Glazed Pistachios are the crowning glory!
I’ve been teasing you with promises of this Strawberry Spinach Salad for the last two weeks. But it was for good reason! The Lemon Basil Poppy Seed Dressing can be used with so many other salads, as well as a delicious sauce for grilled entreés and vegetables. And the pretty cucumber flowers are super versatile too, so they deserved their own post. But without further ado, let me introduce you to this delicious salad!
This combination of strawberries and spinach is nothing new. In fact, if you google “Strawberry Spinach Salad”, you’ll come up with 3,380,000 results! Yikes! After seeing that, I decided to go with a few features that would set this salad apart from the others.
The Lemon Basil Poppyseed Dressing is definitely a unique and flavorful complement to the sweet strawberries and tender, baby spinach.
And taking a few extra minutes to make cucumber flowers, in lieu of regular sliced cucumbers, makes this salad extra pretty.
The ingredient list for this Strawberry Spinach Salad also includes slivers of red onion and a handful of dried cranberries. Speaking of cranberries; do you ever reach for a bag of dried cranberries and find them hard and super dry? There’s an easy little trick in the recipe to plump them right back up – in minutes!
One final delicious touch for this Strawberry Spinach Salad is the Sweet, Spicy Glazed Pistachios. They add just a hint of savory spice to this wonderful salad.
Café Tips for making this Strawberry Spinach Salad
- If you can’t find pretty baby spinach, arugula would also be delicious as a base for this salad.
- There are several other Café dressings that would pair nicely with this strawberry spinach salad. This Sweet and Spicy Mango Dressing, this Orange Cilantro Vinaigrette or this Lemon Ginger Poppyseed Dressing would also be delicious!
- The cucumber flowers are easy to make, but if you’re in a hurry, just slice up some cucumbers. The salad will still look really pretty!
- You may not use all of the pistachios for this salad, but the ones you don’t use will make a delicious snack or cocktail nibble.
- You can prepare all the ingredients for this salad in advance. Just keep them separate and toss right before serving.
- Golden raisins in lieu of the dried cranberries are also delicious in this Spinach Strawberry Salad.
- Look for shelled pistachios. They can be hard to find without salt. But no worries, just skip the salt in the recipe if your pistachios are salted.
If you enjoy this recipe, please come back and leave a rating and review! It’s so helpful to other readers to hear other’s results and ideas for variations.
We’d love to interact with you on Facebook. We share all kinds of delicious inspiration over there and ideas for quick, easy dinners. Just click on the “Like” button under the top photo and we’ll start showing up in your feed.
This Strawberry Spinach Salad is pretty as a picture. The Lemon Basil Poppyseed Dressing and Sweet, Spicy Glazed Pistachios are the crowning glory!
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 ½ tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 cup pistachios
- 10 ounces baby spinach
- 12 ounces fresh strawberries quartered
- 1 cup sliced cucumber flowers or plain sliced cucumbers
- ⅓ small red onion thinly sliced
- Lemon Basil Dressing
For the dried cranberries:
Combine dried cranberries and water in a small microwave-safe bowl or cup. Place in microwave and cook on high power for one minute. Remove from microwave, stir with a fork and set aside to cool, uncovered.
- Place a piece of foil, approximately 1½ feet long, on a work surface. Spray with cooking spray or rub with some oil and a paper towel.
- Combine honey, chili powder and salt in a small bowl. Set aside
- Melt butter in a small sauté pan over medium heat. Add pistachios and stir for 1-2 minutes or until pistachios smell fragrant.
- Add the honey mixture and stir continuously for 2-3 minutes until nuts are golden honey is reduced and coating the nuts.
- Remove from heat and transfer pistachios to the prepared foil. Spread apart as much as possible with the back of a spoon or rubber spatula.
In a large serving bowl, toss together spinach, 3/4 of the strawberries, 3/4 of the cucumbers and all of the red onion. Drizzle with 2-3 tablespoons of the Lemon Basil Dressing and toss again.
Top salad with remaining strawberries, cucumbers, the dried cranberries and a generous sprinkle of the Sweet and Spicy Pistachios After plating the salads in individual servings, drizzle with more dressing, as desired. Serve immediately.
Combine cranberries and water in a small microwave-safe bowl or cup. Cover with plastic wrap or a small plate and cook on high power for 1 minute. Remove and stir with a fork to loosen. Set aside to cool, uncovered.
See Café Tips above in post for additional instructions and tips.
The Café Sucre Farine is a participant in the Amazon Affiliate Program. Affiliate programs are designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon. The price you pay as a consumer does not change, but if you make a purchase through one of our links, we receive a small commission – and we continue delivering delicious recipes to you!